New Grads, A Few Words of Encouragement - Page 6Register Today!
- May 11, '09 by fancyme50I gradurate June 2008 as an LPN, I did all that online applications, nothing, so i went out in person and 3 places hired me in a weeks period, I am working in a LTC . I didn't want LTC either, but I have learned alot to take with me to my dream job one day, I also got day shift in each facility, so it can happen!
- May 12, '09 by what is going on LPNYes, yes , yes - everyone is giving advise because they don't want to believe the recession is really showing it's face in our profession - At this point i feel like becoming a LPN right now was a waste of time - I can't even provide for my family right now - I quit my career of 11 yrs. to start a nursing career- and look what I have - I can't get hirer anywhere - all I have is sad eye from my kids - bills up to you know what- and school loans soon to be due - I'm getting so far behind in my bills that when I finally get a job - I'm still going to be broke for a while - my home is just about in forclosure waiting on a freaken job to just give me a call
- May 12, '09 by dmcdanielsI'm with you, I gave up my career of 8 years to go to school to become a nurse. I graduated in Aug. 2008 and now look, I'm still unemployed and can't even get an interview. I have applied for several jobs at LTC facilities but no luck so far. When I've gone out in person I couldn't even get one facility to take my resume because they were not hiring, or not hiring LVNs. I too am afraid if I don't get a job soon I will lose my house. I have even applied for MA positons and have been told I'm over qulified. I may have to go back to a clerical position, but that could be hard to do with the economic situation right now.
I would like to know where fancyme50 lives, maybe I'll have luck there. If you don't mind replying back. Thanks!
Good Luck to all out of work nurses. We worked hard to get here try not to give up.
- May 12, '09 by what is going on LPNAwhhhh!! thank you- for you words of comfort - I'm going to pray for us and hopefully we will be bless soon
are you in baltimore?
- May 12, '09 by dmcdanielsNo! I live in Southern California. Thanks for your prayers I will pray to for both of us and all others who are out of work. We will be blessed, I'm sure of it. :redpinkhe It's just hard waiting for god's timing.
- May 13, '09 by what is going on LPNAmen , to that
- May 13, '09 by incogkneetoeI am simultaneously encouraged and petrified by these entries!
I live in Seattle and am set to graduate in 2010. I keep hoping that the economy will open up by the time I am ready to be looking for a job, but I also want to be realistic about what the future holds.
Many of these posts helped me remember that I probably won't land my dream job right away. On the other hand, I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason. At no point can I look back in my life at any job or experience I have had in the past and say, "Boy, that was a waste of time. I didn't learn anything there." Almost 100% of the time, each previous experience, no matter how inane it felt at the time, has proven to help me later on.
One of my instructors told me a story about her first job as a new RN and how frustrated she was to be where she was, doing what she was. Years later, she saved a life (by then at her 'dream job') that she would not have been able to save had she not had that first frustrating job experience. I bet that person she helped save isn't disappointed that her first job was less than what she wanted!
We will all end up exactly where we must in order to learn exactly what we must in order to serve the greatest number of people with the most exact and compassionate care.
I continue to believe this, and I hope all my fellow new grads do, too.
So, Future...BRING IT!
- May 13, '09 by A1neuharthI graduated from school last year (may 2008) and also had a hard time finding a job where I lived in western massachusetts. I put my resume on monster.com and ending up getting a job at a hospital in Tucson, AZ. Good luck finding your first job.
- May 13, '09 by fancyme50I live in augusta Ga
- May 14, '09 by mandirigma12Pass the board exam and never give-up.