Do you have Malpractice Insurance?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

1. Do you have Malpractice Insurance

Yes
      No

79 members have participated

I was just wondering how many nurses really had . I have never obtained it, but always question whether or not I should.

Thanks for taking the poll

Specializes in ICU, CCU,Wound Care,LTC, Hospice, MDS.

I've had my own insurance since I graduated in 1967. Has it been money wasted? Definitely not! My peace of mind is worth it. I've seen how hospitals treat nurses involved in lawsuits.

Absolutely! When you think you are covered by the hospital's insurance you are deceiving yourself. The hospital will look out for itself. Who is going to pay YOUR lawyer fees? Whether or not you are guilty of anything you will still need to have legal counsel and I promise you the hospital does not cover your personal attorney fees only their own. Do it for yourself! You're worth it!

Specializes in Obstetrics, M/S, Psych.
Nope, waste of money according to the legal advice I got . . . sorta like buying one of those extended warranties.

steph

I totally agree with you on this one, steph. I was told in nursing school not to buy it, as it would only encourage someone to sue. Lawyers aren't stupid; they aren't going to put too much energy into going after the RN. The doctor's and hospitals are where the big bucks are.

What happens when the hospital loses big bucks because of something you did? They'll come after you for your house, car or any other assets you may have, with or without insurance. With insurance you might keep them.

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

Over the many years I have been a nurse, I have heard the advice both ways. While I have never been sued, I have observed a few cases over the years.

Yes, I have my own insurance. I purchase the maximum amount I can find.

1. Who guarantees that you are going to be sued while at work? You can be sued for anything, reasonable or not -- giving advice to a friend, for example, while not at work. Your hospital will not cover you then. ... and if it's not an emergency, the "Good Samaritan Laws" may not apply. Also, even if the court finds in your favor, you will still have lots of legal bills to pay -- and your employer will not pay for them.

2. As others have said, there is no guarantee that your employer will have your best interst at heart. They might want to make a quick settlement to reduce their legal costs and keep the case out of the newpaper. But if that settlement implies that you did something wrong, it might not be in YOUR best interest to settle. Having YOUR OWN legal counsel is in your best interest. Remember, the hospital's legal counsel works for them, not you.

3. The idea that "they won't go after you" if you don't have insurance has always sounded like the biggest crock in the world to me. Most of us accumulate some assets over the course of our lifetimes ... our homes, our bank accounts, our cars, our retirement accounts, our kids' college funds, etc. You get insurance to protect THESE assets from being taken by a lawsuit. If someone is angry enough (or unscrupulous enough) to sue you, they may not care whether or not you have insurance or not: they may take whatever they can get. To "go bare" in the hopes that people whose lives your mistake may have devastated will avoid suing you because you don't have insurance seems beyond naive.

4. Finally, if you should happen to make a mistake and inadvertantly hurt someone ... don't you WANT to be in a position to compensate them adequately? Isn't it our moral obligation to make reparations for the mistakes that we make? To try to weasel out of that responsibility by not paying a small insurance premium seems to be the total absence of professional accountability.

I think we owe it to ourselves, our families, and our patients to be adequately insured.

llg

Specializes in Geriatrics/Oncology/Psych/College Health.
4. Finally, if you should happen to make a mistake and inadvertantly hurt someone ... don't you WANT to be in a position to compensate them adequately? Isn't it our moral obligation to make reparations for the mistakes that we make? To try to weasel out of that responsibility by not paying a small insurance premium seems to be the total absence of professional accountability.

Wow, llg. Powerful stuff to consider. Thank you.

There are nurses in some areas that are actually making more money than an MD, so it is unfare to think that they will only go after the doctor and not the nurse. I have been a nurse for over 25 years and there is no way that I would work without my own coverage, more so now than before...........

It isn't just covereage but also legal counsel if the need should arrive and that is definitely worth the cost of the policy. Thank goodness that I have never needed it but have been very glad to have it......................

It is your ultimate decision, these are only our opinions............. :balloons:

Specializes in ICU.

I still like our system - we are covered through our union. We could not buy so the union started it up for us and they have made some wonderful suits with it - I remember one case where a nurse was unfairly accused of murdering her patients the union covered all her legal fees. It turned out to be rumour and gossip spread by some real nasty pieces of work that resented her coming into "their" hospital and challenging their ways of working.

That was a case where the nurse was not and could not be covered by vicarious liability and our laws relating to that are closer to the British model and therefor stricter.

Gwenith, Love that Vicarious Liability! I think my Union cover is currently £3 Million.

Shortly before I graduated from nursing school, our nursing instructors strongly encouraged us to get insurance; I purchased mine as a graduate nurse and will keep it until retirement.

Abuse or neglect claims can be alledged so easily. Your employer may try to wash their hands of it by claiming you did not follow procedure, etc. Where does that leave you? -- Hopefully with private insurance to mount a defense.

There's an old saying that you can't get blood out of a turnip. I'm a turnip and own nothing (yes - nothing), but I've been successfully sued for non-nursing issues. Don't be nieve and think that courts dole out logical decisions. You can be sued regardless of your ability to pay.

+ Add a Comment