What LPN cert. program can i get into now?

Nurses LPN/LVN

Published

I posted this in the mass. section of the forum but no replies yet. Sooo here goes....

Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce myself. I'm a thirty year old male in need of a satisfying career. I have gone from job to job all these years and never really felt fulfilled and content, not to mention they all payed horribly(that's what i get for not having a degree).

The biggest mistake of my short existence thus far was dropping out of high school. Yeah, i know it was a bad decision but i have finally "seen the light":trout: . There is a local GED program in Newton that i will be attending soon. It's a little intimidating to get back to a classroom but i feel confident that i CAN do it.

My first question is where can i get into a LPN cert. program that is close to watertown. I have read on here that there are 10-11 month programs but maybe i'm not looking hard enough because i haven't come across any nearby. I would prefer a no waiting list program, even if i have to go to a private school and pay more.

At this point in my life i don't want to go far from my wife and family for school. I love spending time with my family but i have to sacrifice a little now to achieve more in the future. My wife makes good income but it's about time that i stepped up my game also. The pay for a LPN in this area is good so i hope to be in a nice position financially.

I have researched other industries but healthcare seems to be for me. I like a hectic but structured workplace, maybe i would like to be in ICU or medsurg but it's so hard to know what to do without actually doing it.

Please help me?

Any advice or words of wisdom would be sooooo appreciated.

TIA,

oneclipse

Specializes in LTC, Psych, Hospice.

When I started nursing school, I thought I wanted to do OB/Gyn or maybe peds. After starting clinics, I found a passion for geriatrics and ended up in LTC. Now, for the past 7+ years it's been hospice. Good luck to you!

I went to the site below for more information but i think that it is too far from where i live. The programs they offer seem to be more for pending high school grads.

http://www.bluehills.org/Vocational/HealthOccupations.htm

Thanks for the help.

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

Start by looking at the community colleges in your area to see if they have LPN programs, but first focus on getting the GED. You may also want to look at vocational high schools in your area because maby of them also offfer evening LPN programs.

I live in NH and am only familar with a few schools in that area and in northeastern MA, and honestly I would go for the RN because there are more oppertunities job wise when you get out and you would not be able to work in an ICU as and LPN in MA and only a limited number of hospitals will hire them into med surg it seems in this area as well.

Hope to this helps.. let me know if you have any more questions. Where in MA is watertown anyway?

Swtooth

Specializes in Case mgmt., rehab, (CRRN), LTC & psych.
I would go for the RN because there are more oppertunities job wise when you get out and you would not be able to work in an ICU as and LPN in MA and only a limited number of hospitals will hire them into med surg it seems in this area as well.
The original poster specifically wants to do a fast-track LPN program at a private vocational school because the amount of time he has is limited. I am fully aware that the RN license will follow with more opportunities, but it is a rather tall order to suggest the community college route to someone who has no high school education.

I attended a private, expensive LPN program. In addition, many of my classmates had GEDs. The community college environment felt alienating and very foreign to them, but they felt right at home at the private school. All of our GED recipients performed very well, and all earned their LPN licenses. All I am attempting to convey is that private vocational schools may feel less intimidating to those who are not accustomed to academia. It is probably a good idea that the original poster complete a fast-track LPN program at a private school, then move on to the RN if he pleases.

Start by looking at the community colleges in your area to see if they have LPN programs, but first focus on getting the GED. You may also want to look at vocational high schools in your area because maby of them also offfer evening LPN programs.

I live in NH and am only familar with a few schools in that area and in northeastern MA, and honestly I would go for the RN because there are more oppertunities job wise when you get out and you would not be able to work in an ICU as and LPN in MA and only a limited number of hospitals will hire them into med surg it seems in this area as well.

Hope to this helps.. let me know if you have any more questions. Where in MA is watertown anyway?

Swtooth

Hey Swtooth,

I lived in Goffstown, NH many moons ago, it's quite but nice. I currently reside north of boston, right next to Newton/Waltham.

Your correct regarding the fact that many hospitals will not hire LPN's but i "want to get my feet wet" first. I think going that route will save me time. If at the end of the day i find out that this isn't for me, then i can move on without having wasted alot of time, but i'm sure i'll be happy being a LPN.

I initially wanted to go with the RN program but after speaking with my wife (she knows that i have a short attention span) recommended i take it easy. Starting slow and gaining momentum seems to suit me. I'm hoping that with the LPN cert. that i can use those credits that i earn to someday roll into a RN program. Like i said though, it all depends on me feeling contentment in my career.

I actually have another window open researching vocational/private schools with LPN programs nearby but no luck so far.

The current colleges/cert programs that i have been researching are.....

1. Quincy College-LPN Cert.-Fall 2007 (yay)

2. Medical Professional Institute- State board is pending approval of LPN cert. program.

3. Roxbury Comm. college-LPN Cert. Fall 2008. The 2007 class is full but i really don't want to just wait a year before i even begin

4. Soldier's Home in Mass.-LPN Cert. Fall 2008.

5. Massbay Wellesley Campus- LPN Cert. Fall 2007(yay) but part-time evening only. I would graduate spring 2009.

All programs are full-time unless otherwise stated.

Thanks for all the help . Please let me know what you guys and gals think of my list so far and what advice you might have?

Hello TheCommuter,

Your right about going the vocational school route. I think it would be less intimidating for me but i am ready for whatever may come. The only thing is i'm having a hard time finding the private LPN schools nearby.

Thanks,

oneclipse

The original poster specifically wants to do a fast-track LPN program at a private vocational school because the amount of time he has is limited. I am fully aware that the RN license will follow with more opportunities, but it is a rather tall order to suggest the community college route to someone who has no high school education.

I attended a private, expensive LPN program. In addition, many of my classmates had GEDs. The community college environment felt alienating and very foreign to them, but they felt right at home at the private school. All of our GED recipients performed very well, and all earned their LPN licenses. All I am attempting to convey is that private vocational schools may feel less intimidating to those who are not accustomed to academia. It is probably a good idea that the original poster complete a fast-track LPN program at a private school, then move on to the RN if he pleases.

First off my post was for the OP and no one else. Second of all if you re-read my post I DID suggest taht the OP FOCUS ON HIS GED FIRST. I really dont care if anyone beside the OP is familar with greater oppertunities as an RN, as again my post was for the OP and no one else. The OP wanted suggestions and I gave him or her a broad range of them.

Specializes in Case mgmt., rehab, (CRRN), LTC & psych.
First off my post was for the OP and no one else. Second of all if you re-read my post I DID suggest taht the OP FOCUS ON HIS GED FIRST. I really dont care if anyone beside the OP is familar with greater oppertunities as an RN, as again my post was for the OP and no one else. The OP wanted suggestions and I gave him or her a broad range of them.
I am fully aware that your response was especially prepared for and specifically intended to be read by no person other than the original poster. However, this is a public message board with thousands of active members, and it is immensely unrealistic to expect that others are to refrain from replying to something that you have posted, even if it "was for the OP and no one else."

From the tone of your post, I can decipher that you became annoyed.

Just an update... It seems that whatever i will eventually have a degree/cert. it will be at Massbay. The first time that me and my wife went there we were treated nicely and Robin answered all of our questions(we went there on graduation day:trout: ). The wife and i did attend an information session today and that also made the picture a little clearer with respect to how the whole process works. I have been out of school for awhile so it feels comfortable to begin my journey with MBCC.

The healthcare courses are offered at their Framingham campus but that shouldn't be too much of a problem with the commute, by way of car or bus/train it should take approximately 25-35 minutes to get there from Watertown.

Up to this point i did want to take the LPN or RN programs but after much consideration i have decided to "jump in" with a Surg. Tech. certification. I know it will not be easy but i'm ready for it. The LPN is pretty much off my plate for now because if i do finally decide to be a nurse then the route i would take would be straight to the RN program. Oh...and the LPN cert. will NOT save me any time to complete a RN degree, i found that out today.

BTW, i'll be taking my GED classes starting June 26....yessssss!

I'm really looking forward to joining you all out there in the healthcare field. I can hardly wait to get started .

Hi oneclipse,

I am glad you and your wife went to the college and clarified things. I know it can be a anxiety provoking experience starting college! Between trying to decide which classes you should take and how you are going to finance your education, but just know that once you have that education no one can take that away from you!

I am glad to hear that you are starting your GED! Good luck and I am sure you will do fine, as you seem to have the motivation.

Just be careful with the surgical tech thing... I would honestly really evaluate the job and make sure its something you really want to do, as it is very expensive to take classes and then decide its not for you or that you will not be making enough money to make it worth it, although I am not sure how much surgical techs make per hour. Research that on your own becuase colleges can sometimes be deceiving when it comes to telling you what the average pay is for a major on graduating. Do not pick a program based on its length. Also look around at hospitals in your area and make sure there is a job market for surgical techs.

It is a good choice to go right for the RN if you can.. more job options and like you said in this area it does not shorten schooling for RN. Just know though you will probably have more job opertunities as an RN than a surgical tech, but that is a choice you have to make based on what you feel you will be happy doing.

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions if you have them..

Swtooth

hi oneclipse,

i am glad you and your wife went to the college and clarified things. i know it can be a anxiety provoking experience starting college! between trying to decide which classes you should take and how you are going to finance your education, but just know that once you have that education no one can take that away from you!

i am glad to hear that you are starting your ged! good luck and i am sure you will do fine, as you seem to have the motivation.

just be careful with the surgical tech thing... i would honestly really evaluate the job and make sure its something you really want to do, as it is very expensive to take classes and then decide its not for you or that you will not be making enough money to make it worth it, although i am not sure how much surgical techs make per hour. research that on your own becuase colleges can sometimes be deceiving when it comes to telling you what the average pay is for a major on graduating. do not pick a program based on its length. also look around at hospitals in your area and make sure there is a job market for surgical techs.

it is a good choice to go right for the rn if you can.. more job options and like you said in this area it does not shorten schooling for rn. just know though you will probably have more job opertunities as an rn than a surgical tech, but that is a choice you have to make based on what you feel you will be happy doing.

good luck and feel free to ask more questions if you have them..

swtooth

hi swtooth,

yeah, i'm sure glad that we went to the info. session at mbcc. it made everything a little clearer.

the only issue i have with the ged program is that i can't start the classes until june 26. no big deal i guess, but boy would i like to start now. i'll be picking up a book for the ged soon. it will help me get going before the classes begin.

your paragraph that i highlighted above really sums up what has been going through my head lately. evaluating all the variables of the different programs can bring about a bit of anxiety. will i make enough money? will the work itself satisfy me? when can i get into the rn program? etc...

the salary seems good($50k for surg. tech.)if the information is correct. the link below is where i got all the salary estimates for lpn, rn, radiologist tech, and surgical tech. this may sound like a dumb question, but are the salary figures based on a 40 hour work week? do you think that overtime will be available in the surgical tech. position?

http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=surgical+technologist&l1=boston%2c+ma

please can anyone let me know if the salaries above are in the ballpark?

there are a ton of jobs available for rn's, a few for the lpn's and only a couple for surgical technologist in the local hospitals. i would think once someone gets the latter job they are not inclined to leave but i could be wrong on that. that's just my research though so it could have a few holes.

the way i have been thinking about my options is that i can't get into the rn program soon. so, the best path for me would be to get the surgical tech. cert. and begin working in the healthcare field. while in school i will get some or all of the pre-reqs out of the way for the rn program. that way if i do finally decide to go for the rn program. i'll be ready to make the move up.

let me know what you think?

so many decisions, so little time.:D

+ Add a Comment