Lapel watches???

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hi! I'm a pre-nursing student, new to the site, and I have a kinda trivial question. Do nurses wear lapel watches? My grandmother in England wants to buy me one for my birthday, but I'm not even sure nurses wear them here in USA. Anyone? Thanks!

I've never seen anyone wear them here. They might have been more popular before wristwatches became available.

To me, they'd be hard to look at. You can't really look at your pt. while you're taking a pulse/checking resps., either.

Maybe you can talk into getting you a nice wristwatch that would be suitable for nursing. :)

I think the old fashion ones are cool looking...but are not very piratical.

I've never seen one worn in the US recently (only in older pictures), and I've never even seen one for sale here, but they used to be one of the "badges of honor" of being an RN.

If she really wants to get you one, it might be interesting to have for historical purposes (in case you ever want to dress up as a nurse from the '40s), and there really isn't any reason why you couldn't use it.

They actually are v. practical, and designed to be read "hands-free" -- the faces are upside down (12 at the bottom and 6 at the top), so that they're oriented correctly for you to be able to read them by just glancing down, and, no watchband interference or concerns when you wash your hands.

I've never seen one worn in the US recently (only in older pictures), and I've never even seen one for sale here, but they used to be one of the "badges of honor" of being an RN.

If she really wants to get you one, it might be interesting to have for historical purposes (in case you ever want to dress up as a nurse from the '40s), and there really isn't any reason why you couldn't use it.

They actually are v. practical, and designed to be read "hands-free" -- the faces are upside down (12 at the bottom and 6 at the top), so that they're oriented correctly for you to be able to read them by just glancing down, and, no watchband interference or concerns when you wash your hands.

good point!

I've worn them. I HATE wearing wristwatches, so when I actually carry a watch, it's either in my pocket or pinned to my shirt. My mom bought me one that nursemates makes (she found it in a catalog) and I wore that until the battery ran out, then lost the watch when I stuck it in my jacket pocket. Then I picked up 2 on ebay for very cheap. One had Hello Kitty on it! I broke that one but I still have the one with glow in the dark numbers.

They are extremely practical, since you can just glance down and read it, keeping your hands free, as the above poster mentioned. I'm the only nurse I've known who wears one though. On the last floor I worked on, everyone loved it. Never got any odd comments, except with the Hello Kitty one, lol.

I would love to get one. Know any good web sites?

I actually have a few. I have one that I do use at work. In a lot of ways they are very practical for nurses. How many times have you gotten your wrist watch wet via hand washing, also you can hand wash past your wrist if you are not wearing a watch there.

palesarah: I've worn them. I HATE wearing wristwatches, so when I actually carry a watch, it's either in my pocket or pinned to my shirt. My mom bought me one that nursemates makes (she found it in a catalog) and I wore that until the battery ran out, then lost the watch when I stuck it in my jacket pocket. Then I picked up 2 on ebay for very cheap. One had Hello Kitty on it! I broke that one but I still have the one with glow in the dark numbers.

elkpark:They actually are v. practical, and designed to be read "hands-free" -- the faces are upside down (12 at the bottom and 6 at the top), so that they're oriented correctly for you to be able to read them by just glancing down, and, no watchband interference or concerns when you wash your hands.

I started pinning my watch on my uniform as a student prior to getting a lapel watch. Basically the wrist watch kept getting wet, so when I saw a lapel watch I thought it was such a good idea, especially for nurses. There is certainly a practical side to having one. Again people will wear what they feel comfortable with.

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

Tell your grandmother, "yes, I'd like one!" Don't even think about the fashion of wearing one of these. They are incredibly practical! I've had one for years. I actually bought it through a medical supply company that advertised it in one of the nursing journals. This had to be 15 years ago or more. The watch is actually upside down and hangs from a short 2 inch leather strap with a pin at the top which I now pin onto my name badge. To see the face of the watch you just look down at it, or you lift it upward with your fingers to read the dial. Mine has a second sweep hand as well as markings for military time. The big plus. . .you will be able to be hands free, especially to wash your hands and not get water on the watch. You just look down and you can check the time instantly. The English nurses all have these, but most of them are watches hanging on a short chain from a rectangular pin you can have your name engraved on. Before I was able to find this watch, for years, I did what I saw in an Australian nursing video. . .took my wrist watch and pinned it to my uniform with the watch face upside down so that I could read it instantly when just bending my head forward and looking down at it. Now, that was a fashion tragedy! I found another one of these watches on a short chain from another medical supply some years later and bought one--it's in my jewelry box since I like my one with the leather strap better. I'm sorry, but I do not remember the names of the companies selling them. For those who are wanting one of these, they are out there you just have to look as not all medical supply companies carry them. A jeweler might be able to find one for you or make one up. My understanding is that while we in the states get a pin when we graduate nursing school, the ladies in England get one of these watches. What a wonderful gift your grandma would be giving you!

Specializes in Emergency Room.

I don't use any other kind of watch. I've been a nurse for 9 years and that's what I asked for when I graduated. Mine came from a jeweler, brand name Calibri. It is very high quality and stylish. Several other nurses i work with have one after seeing me with mine. I wanted one partly because whenever I washed my hands with a watch on, the band would retain the moisture and i would develop a rash underneath. I have very sensitive skin. The hanging watch solved that problem instantly. Patients always compliment me on it and think it is really cool. Mine is gold, or gold plated (?) unlike the leather one the above poster mentioned. I've never seen one like that. Another plus, is that a wrist watch can get scratch or rub against a patient, a lapel watch will not. good luck whatever you decide.

Specializes in Women's health & post-partum.

The Vermont Country Store (http://www.vermontcountrystore.com) carries one. It's about $30

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC.

I bought one for a friend a couple of years ago (she US me UK) She loves it :)

+ Add a Comment