any info on tracheal malasia would be loved..

Specialties Pediatric

Published

Have a lil gal who has BPD(I forget the spelling for this..so I'm not going to try..has to do w/ the lungs) and tracheal malasia..

Was wanting to know if you all could help me find a good site for reference on this and mayb some nsg interventions w/ her...

GREATLY APPERICIATE YOU LOOKING?ANSWERING MY POST!!YOU WONDERFUL PPL YOU!!!:D :D :D

Sorry I cant help much. My son was born with tracheal malacia. All I know is that it is relatively rare. The rings in the trachea failed to develope properly. My son had to be taken to Cincinnatti childrens hosp for surgical intervention. I dont even remember what it was called. But the dr's name if I recall correctly was Dr Cotton. They may have a web site with some info on this. Wish I could help more.

Tracheomalacia can be associated with BPD (bronchopulmonary dysplasia). It may be caused by prolonged intubation or barotrauma. Basically tracheomalacia means a weakness of the trachea. These kids/babies may have an audible stridor. Always be assessing for respiratory distess (nasal flaring, retractions, etc..) These kids are at risk for airway collapse due to the area of malacia. Also be sure that this kiddo is nowhere near anyone who is sick because what may be a cold to you and I will put this kiddo in the hospital quickly. Is this kid on any sort of respiratory support?

I don't know of any specific web sites, but you could just type in tracheomalacia under subject and there should be lots of info. for you on the web.

I have been taking care of a baby that was born with bronchio malacia. He was born at 24 weeks and weighed 1 pound and 1 ounce. I don't know if this is the same thing the little girl you are taking care of has or not. I have not been able to find much out about this bronchio malacia either and would really like to. The little baby boy stayed in the hospital for the first 8 months of his life and then was discharged because medicaid would not pay for him to be in the hospital any longer but would pay for him to have nursing care at home. I work for a private duty company that specializes in cases with CPAPs and Ventilators in the home environment. This little boy is on a CPAP and oxygen and has a trachea. I take care of him during the night so the mother can sleep and she has a day nurse while she works. This little fellow has done miracuosly, he is one year old now and is up to the average weight of a one year old. He needs alot of suctioning but is being weaned slowly from the CPAP hoping he will be able to survive without it. I don't know if I can help or not but if you have a specific question, I will try to answer it from what I know or try to find the answer for you. What type of symptoms does she have?

Specializes in ICU.

Try the websites dealing with TOF traheo-oesophagela fistula. A freind of mine had a child with this and told me it is commonly associated with tracheomalacia. I can remember hearing Matt cough - you could identify EVERY nurse and MD in the crowd!

Angie was writng a chapter in a book on TOF and tracheomalacia but she suicided a couple of years ago (Bullying in nursing played a big part of why) so I doubt teh book was ever finished.

I just can't find anyinfo on this...This lil gal has fought her way evry day...she's a miracle...I just want to know if there is something more Ican do for her.....

I would suggest doing a search on tracheomalacia (spelled like I just did) MSN came up with 1123 results containing it.

I took care of a little boy for a couple of years that was delivered at term after a normal pregnancy, he had no defects other than tracheomalacia. He was trached with no ventilatory support needed. His trach was held in with a trach chain rather than a tie and was ONLY changed in the hospital by the ENT. Around 7 or 8 the trachea cartilege had hardened enough they were able to do surgery, harvesting some bone from a hip (?) and he was extubated. I see him in the grocery sore now & the...a health, normal looking 17 yo.

forget it!

Please PM me...I did high-tech Peds PDN for several years (last as Clinical Coord.) before leaving the job in January...would love to swap stories...there are not many of us who do/did this stuff. I *kinda* miss it. I love HH, and I love Peds, it was great to combine them. (I now work for the Docs who are primaries on all the kids who were on my caseload)

Originally posted by nicudaynurse

Tracheomalacia can be associated with BPD (bronchopulmonary dysplasia). It may be caused by prolonged intubation or barotrauma. Basically tracheomalacia means a weakness of the trachea. These kids/babies may have an audible stridor. Always be assessing for respiratory distess (nasal flaring, retractions, etc..) These kids are at risk for airway collapse due to the area of malacia. Also be sure that this kiddo is nowhere near anyone who is sick because what may be a cold to you and I will put this kiddo in the hospital quickly. Is this kid on any sort of respiratory support?

I don't know of any specific web sites, but you could just type in tracheomalacia under subject and there should be lots of info. for you on the web.

Great explanation

I work at Cincinnati Children's Hospital in the ENT unit. I see a lot of tracheomalacia. Definately Dr. Cotton is the best person to see for this problem. We get kids on our floor from all over the world much less the country due to Dr. Cotton's experience.

http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/default.htm

This is children's website which can help you get in touch with Dr. Cotton if needed. He is the BEST in the ENT business for kids.

I THINK THE EASIEST WAY TO DESCRIBE TM IS TO THINK OF A PIECE OF COOKED PASTA, LIKE ZITI. IT IS LIMP, ODES NOT HOLD ITS' SHAPE, AND IF IT PROGRESSES, TO LARYNGEOMALACIA, IT COLLAPSES ONTO ITSELF. I HAVE A CLIENT IN HHC THAT USES A MAPLESON BAG (LIKE THE BLACK BAGS USED IN THE OR FOR ANESTHESIA IN THE DARK AGES), THE ADVANTAGE IS A GAUGE THAT YOU CAN WATCH SO AS NOT TO BLOW THE LUNG W/ TOO MUCH PRESSURE. GOOD LUCK:cool:

My daughter had tracheomalacia from birth til about 7 months of age. She was full term and luckily, we never needed any interventions.

From what I have found, it's under-developed and soft. That's what causes the noise- the vibration of the soft tissue when breathing.

It's scary, though!

+ Add a Comment