RNFA prereqs

Specialties Operating Room

Published

Specializes in OR.

Hi:

I am new to the OR and have about 5 months left of a 9 month program. I only have an ADN. Do I need a BSN to get my RNFA? Is there anyone who has gone through this and is an RNFA? Is it worth going for it? Do you have to live in one of the states that has the RNFA class program or can you do the program online and do your clinicals where you live?

Thanks in advance for any information.

i am not an rnfa. i can give you some info. though. to become an rnfa you must have a bsn and certified nurse of the operating room (cnor) and complete an accredited program (there are online programs). to sit for the cnor you must have 2 years of surgical experience. you can find more information and links at www.aorn.org.

i hope this helps.

I might add that the online programs require you to arrange a preceptor agreement between you, the surgeon, the hospital and school for required case hours in the first assist role.

You do not have to have a BSN to take the program. I took the program a few years ago but changed jobs before I finished my hours. You can get "certified" as a RNFA which does require a BSN, but you can practice & bill without one. Medicare & Blue Cross/Blue Shield do not reimburse unless you are "certified". There are 13 states that recognize RNFAs & require insurance companies (except MC/BCBS) to reimburse them. The amount of reimbursement depends on where you live. I've done a bit of research on this because I'm going to take the program again. You can take it in another state, you just have to have a license in the state you plan to get your hours in. Go to http://www.cc-institute.org/cert_crnf_prep_rnfa.aspx & it will list all the programs in the US. Good luck.

Browniqtee that was a great informative post. It has really got me thinking about what I want to do with my career. My only concern is the job market. I don't know any hospitals in my area that use RNFAs. I hear some surgeons do though. Not sure how that works, guess its BYON to the OR.

Sorry about my misinformation. My previous post should have been to become a CRNFA.....

Our facility will only allow the CRNFA.

Thanks browniqtee.

There are 13 states that recognize RNFAs & require insurance companies (except MC/BCBS) to reimburse them. The amount of reimbursement depends on where you live. .

Which states would those be?

Specializes in OR Internship starting in Jan!!.

What is the dif between CRNFA and RNFA?

My husband found this information on the internet. I'm not sure where though. RNFA.org has lots of info on reimbursement.

All 50 states allow RNFAs the be reimbursed, but 13 states, including

Colorado and Georgia, actually require private insurance companies to

reimburse a RNFA

Oregon House Bill 3329, signed into law July 2005, requires that insurance

companies reimburse RN first assistants (RNFAs). (1) Oregon became the

thirteenth state to require private insurance companies to reimburse RNFAs.

Other states with RNFA reimbursement laws are Colorado, Florida,

Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Rhode

Island, Texas, Washington, and West Virginia. West Virginia requires that

the state medical assistance program (ie, Medicaid) reimburse RNFAs but has

not yet extended that requirement to the private sector.

A CRNFA is an RNFA that is "certified". To become certified you have to have a BSN & 2000 first assist hours. It's something you can do after you get your RNFA. Go to rnfa.org for more details.

browniqtee, if you could ask him, that would be great. Also, I just saw your post count, welcome to the forum!!

Specializes in OR Internship starting in Jan!!.

Ahh, thanks for the information!

Specializes in operating room.
i am not an rnfa. i can give you some info. though. to become an rnfa you must have a bsn and certified nurse of the operating room (cnor) and complete an accredited program (there are online programs). to sit for the cnor you must have 2 years of surgical experience. you can find more information and links at www.aorn.org.

i hope this helps.

in most states a bsn is not required to be an rnfa, you do have to have it to get your certification (crnfa) most insurance co do not require you to be certified. i went thru a rnfa program some 10 yrs ago and am still able to bill for my services. sometime in the near future if you want to bill medicare you will have to be certified as an fa.

+ Add a Comment