OB tech?

Specialties Ob/Gyn

Published

Hello,

I am finding through the course of doing my prereqs that I may want to become an ob tech. What formal training is there? How can I obtain more information about becoming one? Has anyone heard of the program through http://www.medtexx.com? Thanks!

Rebecca

L&D_RN_OH

288 Posts

No, haven't heard of this program. Our Ob techs are scrub techs and assist with csections. They have AS degrees.

tmhbubbles

1 Post

Hi Rebecca

I have registered and am currently taking the OB Tech class, but I am still a little skeptical about the whole thing. If you'd like to know more about it feel free to PM me.

Teresa

Hello,

I am finding through the course of doing my prereqs that I may want to become an ob tech. What formal training is there? How can I obtain more information about becoming one? Has anyone heard of the program through www.medtexx.com? Thanks!

Rebecca

(edited out private email address)

susan1

5 Posts

Hi,

I have been looking into taking the OB tech course by Medtexx. I have a few questions for the people who have taken the course.

Did you like the program?

Do you recommend the company?

Was the program hard?

You can PM if you like.

Thanks,

Susan

sweetcheekers

75 Posts

In our hospital OB techs are simply patient care techs (PCTs= CNA) who are employed in the OB department. They do CNA tasks with no more training than any other CNA.

MissJoRN, RN

414 Posts

Our OB techs are also trained in house. Their job is similar to a PCT/aide- which includes phlebotomy, but in addition, they are trained to set up a delivery table and to scrub sections and tubals.

It works out nicely in this large hospital, since in a smaller hospital where I floated to OB there was an all RN staff (previously had included LPNs before downsizing) and many of the RNs both the "older" ones who had worked in the LPN days, and the new hires were reluctant to learn to scrub leaving the OR staff covering their shifts. Since I did both maternal/child service and surgical service at one time or another in that facility I saw the problems and unhappiness caused in both departments!

SmilingBluEyes

20,964 Posts

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

Our OB techs are ALL technical-school trained----they are surgical technicians and most are also CNA's. They are VERY handy and we love them. But yes, they all have graduated from formal technical school training so that they can assist in csections, tubals and D/C surgeries on our unit.

MissJoRN, RN

414 Posts

Our OB techs are also trained in house. Their job is similar to a PCT/aide- which includes phlebotomy, but in addition, they are trained to set up a delivery table and to scrub sections and tubals.

It works out nicely in this large hospital, since in a smaller hospital where I floated to OB there was an all RN staff (previously had included LPNs before downsizing) and many of the RNs both the "older" ones who had worked in the LPN days, and the new hires were reluctant to learn to scrub leaving the OR staff covering their shifts. Since I did both maternal/child service and surgical service at one time or another in that facility I saw the problems and unhappiness caused in both departments!

I guess should add that there is a fully accredited sugical tech program run by the hospital in the main OR here. OB techs spend time in that program to pick up the general principals and techniques and rotate through gyn surgeries. They don't learn to scrub ortho, neuro vascular, ect, though.

Mississippi_RN

118 Posts

Specializes in Med-Surg, OB/GYN, L/D, NBN.

Our OB techs are either scrub techs from surgery that trained for that, other people (even a couple of floor secretaries/CNAs) who have trained in house for it and LPNs who have to do it cause the RNs don't want to do anything but circulate.

Me--I would love to learn how to do it all--circulate, scrub, etc. The more I know, the better my job security :)

Penguinelane

7 Posts

I do not see anyone else online offering a certification as an OB Tech. Is the certification exclusive to medtexx? Are you in the course? Tell me about it. I think I might just be able to take the test.

susan1

5 Posts

I do not see anyone else online offering a certification as an OB Tech. Is the certification exclusive to medtexx? Are you in the course? Tell me about it. I think I might just be able to take the test.

No, the cerification is not excluive to medtexx because I did find a community college offering a OB tech training. I am not in the course yet...however I am thinking about taking it. I did ask someone that took the course though Medtexx and she said it was fun but hard.

Oh, I do not know if Medtexx is exclusive only to offer online OB tech cerification because I too cannot find any other comapny offering it.

Susan

OBTECH01

8 Posts

I am a practicing OB/Scrub tech if you are still looking at going in this direction you can email me with any questions. I look forward to hearing from you. It really is a GREAT job but can be misinterpreted in various hospitals and by various nurses.

thanks,

Rachel Camp

+ Add a Comment