Do You Have Any Favorite OB Myths?

Specialties Ob/Gyn

Published

I was wondering if anyone had a favorite OB myth that you've come across in work.

I'll start with a few of my favorites:

When I worked at a maternity home, the lead houseparent told the girls that if their baby was a girl, it proved that the young lady had participated in a lot of sexual activity at conception. If it was a boy, the young lady had intercourse only once or twice. I couldn't think of any biological basis for that one. Of course if the young lady had a baby girl, then she would really have been read the riot act about her sexual activity from the housemother.

This one I heard rather recently. A woman went in for an u/s to determine the baby's sex, and baby had it's legs crossed. The woman asked the u/s tech to count the fetal ribs because men have one less rib than women do - the "Adam's Rib Theory."

Anyone heard of other interesting OB myths that are brought into the doctor's office or hospital?

Babies born with a "veil" over their face are gifted with second sight.

The veil is the bag part of the placenta that sometimes covers the babe and second sight is ESP.

steph

The speed of the FHR can determine the sex of the baby.

I also love the "I lost my mucous plug so I am going to go into labor soon" uh, not necessarily(sp) and please, please, please I will just take your word for it I DO NOT NEED NOR WANT TO SEE YOUR MUCOUS PLUG gag yuck yuck gag, (have actually had pts bring them in usually wrapped in TP and want me to look at them)

Specializes in Gerontological Nursing, Acute Rehab.

I've heard that one Steph, too.....a "caul" is what I've heard it called.

Also, a lot of heartburn in the mom means a baby with a headful of hair.

Carry out front=boy

Carry wide=girl and a big butt for mom (BTW, this was true for me)

That's all I can think of now!

Carry out front=boy

I thought it was:

Carry out front= girl

Carry wide= boy

LOL, which was exactly how it was for me with my 3.

I've heard that one Steph, too.....a "caul" is what I've heard it called.

Also, a lot of heartburn in the mom means a baby with a headful of hair.

Carry out front=boy

That's all I can think of now!

Oh I forgot the heartburn=hair one!! :rotfl: Have actually had moms look at baby then at me rather accusingly and say "why is he/she bald, I had heartburn the whole pregnancy" I always want to say well we shaved it while it was crowning. :coollook:

All caucasian babies are born with blue eyes.

I am from Kentucky, we have a ton of these. One of my favorites is if the mom has a good fright during the pg the baby will be "marked" as in have a big birthmark. Also if the mom lifts her hands over her head, as if to reach for something, it will knot the babys umbilical cord. To silly.

I always heard carry high, and it is a boy. Carry low and it is a girl.

I have had many pts talk about the need to "mold the baby's head". Been too afraid to ask how they intended to do it! LOL

The first thing my mother said when I was told her I was pregnant is,"Don't put your hands over your head! You'll strangle the baby!"

I,naturally, was compelled to wave my arms in the air and dance around to the music of my mom screaming. :D

I always heard carry high, and it is a boy. Carry low and it is a girl.

I was told it was carrying high, it's a girl. And carrying low, it's a boy. Being pregnant myself, i'm asked about this almost daily!!

+ Add a Comment