does a NP average more money than a PA? can NP's work w/out a docs oversight?

Specialties NP

Published

i heard NP's make more than PA's on average and can work in many states, without a docs supervision? true?

i heard NP's make more than PA's on average and can work in many states, without a docs supervision? true?

If you look at the averages, NP's make less. That is generally because of the specialties they choose. Most do primary care, which pays lower. There are more PA's in ER and surgical subspecialties, which generally pay more. In the same job with the same experience, NP's and PA's generally make the same.

Most states require physician oversight for NP practice, some do not. All should.

Pat

A Physcian Assisitant is Certified, not licensed. They need the oversight fo a physician. A Nurse Practitioner does not. An NP can also open their own clinic in many states, a PA cannot.

There are many, many threads already on this topic. Please do a search.

A Physcian Assisitant is Certified, not licensed. They need the oversight fo a physician. A Nurse Practitioner does not. An NP can also open their own clinic in many states, a PA cannot.

There are many, many threads already on this topic. Please do a search.

RN, MBA (no NP?),

PA's are certified, which means we take boards every 6 years for life. In most states, including mine, we are licensed. Pretty broad statement, especially when it is a misguided one :uhoh3:

PA's do need oversight from physicians, that you are correct about. NP's do as well in many states. It also varies, depending on the state. Take a look at the regulations in the state you plan to practice in, rather than take the word of someone who has no idea.

Good Luck,

Pat

This is true in almost every state - but not in all - some states have doctors that lobby to keep NPs out. :(

RN, MBA (no NP?),

PA's are certified, which means we take boards every 6 years for life. In most states, including mine, we are licensed. Pretty broad statement, especially when it is a misguided one :uhoh3:

PA's do need oversight from physicians, that you are correct about. NP's do as well in many states. It also varies, depending on the state. Take a look at the regulations in the state you plan to practice in, rather than take the word of someone who has no idea.

Good Luck,

Pat

Curious,

Seems like there are quite a few PA's and Docs who read a forum set up for nurses. Arent' there any forums dedicated to PA's and Docs........

PA's are certified, which means we take boards every six years for life......

Funny, it seems quite a few PA's and Docs read a forum set up for nurses..... If you have the RN, why didn't you go for the NP instead of the PA. Seems like you are quick to use the poison pen....

Pretty broad statement, especially when it is a misguided one. By the way I work with two PA's, and there are no problems. We get along without condescension.
Pretty broad statement, especially when it is a misguided one. By the way I work with two PA's, and there are no problems. We get along without condescension.

Thanks so much. This is how we work together at my establishment as well. Check out http://www.clinicanforum.com for more NP/PA harmony:D

Pat

Curious,

Seems like there are quite a few PA's and Docs who read a forum set up for nurses. Arent' there any forums dedicated to PA's and Docs........

I am a fully licensed RN, and I guess I didn't see the signs at the door! Ridiculous post, really.

So, you want to live in a cave with no input from any of the other members of the vast healthcare system? I am here trying to be cordial, to learn, and to try and dispell fiction being strewn about regarding PA's and NP's. The truth is that we work in harmony in most parts of the country. You didn't want to hear that, did you? :kiss

How did someone who made such a great post in this same thread make the above post? :confused:

Pat

Specializes in Ortho, Med surg and L&D.
I am a fully licensed RN, and I guess I didn't see the signs at the door! Ridiculous post, really.

see comments below

So, you want to live in a cave with no input from any of the other members of the vast healthcare system? I am here trying to be cordial, to learn, and to try and dispell fiction being strewn about regarding PA's and NP's. The truth is that we work in harmony in most parts of the country. You didn't want to hear that, did you? :kiss

How did someone who made such a great post in this same thread make the above post? :confused:

Pat

Hmm,

Pat, your posts don't come across very consistant. Let me paste:

Here you say_

Originally Posted by patnshan

RN, MBA (no NP?),---{isn't that somewhat adverserial? If no NP is listed what is your comment to mean?}

PA's are certified, which means we take boards every 6 years for life.

{We take boards, so it would appear that you are a PA}

In most states, including mine, we are licensed.

{We are licensed, yet, in another post you say you are an RN?}

Pretty broad statement, especially when it is a misguided one

Good Luck,

Pat

Next you write how the poster didn't want to hear that PAs and NPs get along? Isn't that what the poster did indeed say?

Seems that this entire thread was initiated with flaming on the mind.

Checking out,

Gen

Not an RN, not a BS, NP, not yet, (hopefully in 2008!!)Graduate entry hopeful

see comments below

Hmm,

Pat, your posts don't come across very consistant. Let me paste:

Here you say_

Originally Posted by patnshan

RN, MBA (no NP?),---{isn't that somewhat adverserial? If no NP is listed what is your comment to mean?}

My comment is to mean that this poster has no idea what they are talking about.

PA's are certified, which means we take boards every 6 years for life.

{We take boards, so it would appear that you are a PA.

This is true. Also was and am an RN.

In most states, including mine, we are licensed.

{We are licensed, yet, in another post you say you are an RN?}

In a recent survey of PA's, up to 30% said that they were RN's prior to going to PA school.

Not an RN, not a BS, NP, not yet, (hopefully in 2008!!)Graduate entry hopeful

Then, hopefully learning that a lot of RN's decide to go to PA shool was helpful to you.

Good Luck in your studies.

Pat

Hi, Pat:

I am a pre-nursing student.

At a PA program class profile, I do see a girl with a BSN degree.

I am curious, what are the advantages do you think by being a RN and PA at the same time? Do you work at both roles now? Or you just work as PA only, PA seems to make more money than RN does. I heard there is some requirement that one has to work certain time to keep RN license active.

+ Add a Comment