Certification exams AANP vs. ANCC

Specialties NP

Published

Hello to all NPs who have recently taken certification exams. What should I study? I am just overwhelmed with material. I have done the Fitzgerald CDs which were great. I have also gone through a book of 2500 questions, not as helpful. Any other suggestions? Is one exam that different than the other? Any difference in the two, AANP vs. ANCC? Thanks

Specializes in Education, FP, LNC, Forensics, ED, OB.
Hello to all NPs who have recently taken certification exams. What should I study? I am just overwhelmed with material. I have done the Fitzgerald CDs which were great. I have also gone through a book of 2500 questions, not as helpful. Any other suggestions? Is one exam that different than the other? Any difference in the two, AANP vs. ANCC? Thanks

Hello, JACKMAC,

The Fitzgerald CDs are very valuable in preparation.

The ANCC has study guides that are useful as well. What area of certification do you seek?

I am taking the ANP certification. In my state the rules governing us changed in Jan 05 so that we have to be certified BEFORE we can even apply to the board to practice. It has really made it difficult for new grads and employers to hire us.

I took the ANCC exam and found Fitzgerald to be the biggest help.

I didnt even need all the other study aides (but only know that now!)

So, what is the difference between the two certification bodies?

From what I understand, the ANCC certifies nurses in general from RNs to NPs in certain areas, advanced practice or not. The AANP only certifies NPs (ANP or FNP only) and represents NPs only. The problem with the AANP is that they test in cycles 3 times per year so if you don't know that (like me too late) then you have to wait until the next cycle, which can be 4 months. There test cycles seem to be heavily concentrated in the summer so if you graduate in August you better have everything ready to send.

The ANCC you can test all year so there are no deadlines, which is the only reason I am taking their test. I would rather take the test and support the AANP since their interest is more toward NPs but they don't have the convieince of the ANCC.

You also sign your name differently based on the test you take too, although I rarely see this done in practice most people sign FNP or NP not APRN-BC. If you are a student, I highly, highly recommend going to http://www.fhea.com and look under certification information before you graduate. I also recommend, as do others, taking Fitzgeralds review course. It was better than my grad program.

I hope this helps.

Thank you! A tremendous help - I am in an on line program with students in every state and a few different countries (including Egypt), so their advising about requirements is not too helpful. Yours has been great -

Thanks this was very helpful.

From what I understand, the ANCC certifies nurses in general from RNs to NPs in certain areas, advanced practice or not. The AANP only certifies NPs (ANP or FNP only) and represents NPs only. The problem with the AANP is that they test in cycles 3 times per year so if you don't know that (like me too late) then you have to wait until the next cycle, which can be 4 months. There test cycles seem to be heavily concentrated in the summer so if you graduate in August you better have everything ready to send.

The ANCC you can test all year so there are no deadlines, which is the only reason I am taking their test. I would rather take the test and support the AANP since their interest is more toward NPs but they don't have the convieince of the ANCC.

You also sign your name differently based on the test you take too, although I rarely see this done in practice most people sign FNP or NP not APRN-BC. If you are a student, I highly, highly recommend going to www.fhea.com and look under certification information before you graduate. I also recommend, as do others, taking Fitzgeralds review course. It was better than my grad program.

I hope this helps.

Specializes in ER, Med-Surg, Recovery, OR, ICU.

I took AANP cerification. Fitzgerald's is the only review I used. It was very helpful. I highly recommend it! I learned stuff not even taught in my program

Specializes in ICU/ER/corrections/public/home health/.

I used Fitzgerald and a prep exam book that went through questions and answers by Hollier that was very helpful as it has 5 questions or so on each page with answers and rationale on the back of the page. I also used the Winland-Brown book with the CD and it was not as helpful as it was too in depth. And I have horrible test anxiety but when I started the AANP exam lots of the stuff I had studied was on there and I calmed down and passed.

I used the fitzgerald CD's and still listen to them as a resource, they are great. I took the AANC exam and got my results 4 days after taking them

i used fitzgerald and a prep exam book that went through questions and answers by hollier that was very helpful as it has 5 questions or so on each page with answers and rationale on the back of the page. i also used the winland-brown book with the cd and it was not as helpful as it was too in depth. and i have horrible test anxiety but when i started the aanp exam lots of the stuff i had studied was on there and i calmed down and passed.

thank you for sharing this information! i have the same books you mentioned and was wondering if i was the only one that felt the winland-brown book was way too intense and my question to you is: going thru hollier and fitzgerald, they cover "endocrine" ie. thyroid, dm mostly. winland-brown went thru cushings, pheochromocytoma, and other uncommon diseases. should i review those or not? did they ask specific drug dosages on the aanp exam? any help will be appreciated!!:coollook::lol2:

+ Add a Comment