14. percent of population lacking access to primary care (table 411) -

15. percent of adults who are binge drinkers (table 494) -

16. percent of adults who smoke (table 495) -

17. percent of adults obese (table 502) -

18. percent of adults who do not exercise (table 504) -

19. beds in community hospitals per 100,000 population (table 197) +

20. percent of children aged 19-35 months immunized (table 381) +

21. safety belt usage rate (table 513) +

methodology--the healthiest state designation is awarded based on 21 factors chosen from the year 2007 edition of our annual reference book, health care state rankings. these factors reflect access to health care providers, affordability of health care and a generally healthy population. all 21 factors are the same as last year. the 21 factors were divided into two groups: those that are “negative” for which a high ranking would be considered bad for a state, and those that are “positive” for which a high ranking would be considered good for a state. rates for each of the 21 factors were processed through a formula that measures how a state compares to the national average for a given category. the positive and negative nature of each factor was taken into account as part of the formula. once these computations were made, the factors then were weighted (factors were weighted equally.) these weighted scores were then added together to get a state’s final score (“sum” on the table above.) this way, states are assessed based on how they stack up against the national average. the end result is that the farther below the national average a state’s health ranking is, the lower (and less healthy) it ranks.

Specializes in ER Occ Health Urgent Care.

HM2Viking, Just wanted to say thnaks I really appreciate your posts they are very informative and educational.

Wow. I am suprised Maryland and Virginia are so different. Maryland=35 Virginia=18. I may have to move! Thanks for posting this.

Specializes in Rotor EMS, Ped's ICU, CT-ICU,.
HM2Viking, Just wanted to say thnaks I really appreciate your posts they are very informative and educational.

And absolutely without bias in selecting the information preferred to support her position.

This was simply the report of an objective organization about health indicators for US states. Posting data based on research is part of seeking a better way of doind things.

http://www.americanprogress.org/aboutus/images/progressive-split.gif

progressive-split.gif

And absolutely without bias in selecting the information preferred to support her position.
Sheesh!:rolleyes: Havin' a bad day, a little cranky?
Specializes in RN, BSN, CHDN.

OMG I live in the 42 most unheathest state

Woohoo! Texas, holdin' steady at #43!!!

I think I live in one of the "fattest" cities, too.

Texas Hospitals Urge State Leaders to Help Make Health Insurance More Affordable, Accessible

Friday April 20, 11:01 am ET

Gov. Perry Proclaims April 23-29 Cover the Uninsured Week in Texas

AUSTIN, Texas, April 20 /PRNewswire/ -- As the nation prepares to mark Cover the Uninsured Week, the Texas Hospital Association is urging lawmakers to take meaningful steps to make health insurance more affordable and accessible in Texas -- which has the highest rate of uninsured residents in the country...

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070420/daf016.html?.v=101

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

Washington did not make top 10 nor bottom ones either...not surprised, given the above factors. however....

I personally feel healthier here than ever in any other state (and I have lived in a bunch of them!!!) I guess it's my love of all things natural, ocean, mts and forests that make my state of mind healthy, anyhow.

I also think we ALL could improve, even the best of us!

+ Add a Comment