Myers-Briggs Personality Type & CRNA's

Students SRNA

Published

Hello,

This board is very informative and helpful--thanks to everyone for making it so interesting.

I'm curious as to Myers-Briggs Personality Types and CRNA's. The MB indicator identifies individuals as either introverted or extroverted and Sensing or Intuitive types. Myers-Briggs has 16 personality types such as ISTJ's, which stands for Introverted, Sensing, Thinking, Judging and ENFP, which stands for Extroverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Perceptive. The other introverted types are ISFJ, ISTP, ISFP, INFJ, INTJ, INFP, INTP. The remaining extroverted types are: ESTP, ESFP, ESTJ, ESFJ, ENTP, ENFJ, and ENTJ.

My question is what is your MB personality type (if you know it--or want to take a guess) and do you thiink there are certain personality types that are more suited towards the work of being a successful CRNA?

hbscott

416 Posts

I have consistently tested as ESTJ.

-HBS

ABSTRACT

Personality types have been consistently linked to occupational choices. Studies using the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) have dependable findings when evaluating personality types. The MBTI is a psychometrically sound instrument designed to identify theoretical constructs of Carl Jung's personality typology. The purpose of this study is to describe the personality attributes found in Student Registered Nurse Anesthetist (SRNAs) and Student Family Nurse Practitioners (SFNPs) before they start their graduate programs. Knowledge of personality traits of the two groups carries the possibility of creating educational programs for practitioners to institute in their various academic studies. The research question is to describe the personality traits of nurses in anesthesia and family nurse practitioner masters degree programs. This descriptive study used the MBTI and involved uniformed service nurses who were selected for the Uniformed Service University of the Health Sciences (USUHS) nurse anesthetist and family nurse practitioner programs. Evaluation of the SRNAs, 33% fell into the personality typology designated for "military" types and 25% were found to be in the "nurse" personality type. As the inventory was given to military nurses, these results are not surprising. An analysis of SFNPs data, showed that 15% of students belonged in the military group, 23% into the nursing category, and 31% in a category similar to that of general practitioners. This is interesting because family nurse practitioners do similar tasks and and work in the same environment as their counterpart general practitioner physicians. Evaluation of the discrete composite groups of the SRNAs and the SFNPs together found that both groups of were similar. The majority of subjects were the extroverted-sensing-thinking-judging (ESTJ) composite prototype. ESTJ students tend to be rather scholarly. They respond best to well structured courses that produce practical, tangible results. Their academic prowess continues up the academic ladder, although they tend to have less patience with the more abstract theories at the college level. They are frustrated by intuitive-perceiving professors whose lectures do not follow stated outlines and whose material is not limited to the factual and concrete. The fact that these nurses generally fell into the nursing and military prototypes adds validity to the instrument. Once personality types of students are known, faculty can initiate programs to help the students better understand the methods of teaching, test taking, and communicating. This valuable information could then be integrated into the educational curriculum.

http://www.usuhs.mil/gsn/nr/98thesis/moore.html

smiling_ru

297 Posts

Tested ISTP

Melly1022

12 Posts

Hi there! I have always enjoyed the personality tests. I study them quite frequently. I have always tested ENFJ.

Rhon1991

102 Posts

ENTJ here, however when retested was smack midline 50% E 50% I... so I wonder... if you score more midline rather than one extreme to the other, is that well-rounded?:D

OldBat

5 Posts

:cool:

I test ISFJ, but can be extroverted in certain circumstances, such as when dealing one on one with patients. I would imagine you would have to be more extroverted to be a CRNA, but I don't know for sure.

Let's ask tenesma what his myers-briggs personality type is. :)

Brenna's Dad

394 Posts

Also, ITSP...

It's no wonder nursing has drove me nuts!

hbscott

416 Posts

See the link below for an interesting interpretation of the Sixteen Myers-Briggs Types:

http://www.geocities.com/lifexplore/mbtypes.htm

Don't know how or where the data was compiled for the personality descriptions noted but it is a fun read. I suppose one must be careful not to read too much in these descriptors but at the same time it is curios to see how close in agreement these narratives are to our own personality. It is always in interesting endeavor to validate subjective criteria.

-HBS

I'm not an SRNA yet (just a wannabe), but I am an ENTJ, "The Leader".

athomas91

1,093 Posts

SRNA in 5 days....

i tested as ENTJ - leader

i can see how both introverted and extroverted could excel in this field however....

capsaicin

1 Post

+ Add a Comment