Dosage Calculations

Nursing Students Student Assist

Published

I am in a desperate situation. I thought I was getting my calculations correctly and today I got back my math results and i got a 70% I am so disappointed I dont know what to do. On my first exam I received an 80%.

My professor said that if i get above 95% on my final (which is next week) I may be able to average a b+ or a- , but it will all depend on the overall average, if he curves grades or not. I went and bought 2 self help books on calculations .... My question is ..... do you think it is humanly possible to ingest all this info by next week (exactly a week from today)! I am having problems with the drips and the three step conversions. Is there a website that can help me? To top it off my professor sucks, so what I have learned, I have learned on my own. I am so frustrated, so much so, that it is getting harder and harder for me to pick up a book .....sorry for venting

1 Votes

nursing calculators

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

hope this helps lynn,

please i remember that dosage calculation book has this cd that got some good problems! :balloons:

Thanks for the responses. Janet my book didn't come with a cd.

I do have a problem that I am stuck with... here it is

The order reads:

Nitrostat 8mg in 250 mL of 5% D/W/ IVPB. Infuse at rate of 8 mcg/min. Calculate the flow rate in drops per minute. The drop factor is 6ugtt/mL.

I am drawing a complete blank with this one

Specializes in Gerontological, cardiac, med-surg, peds.

Nitrostat 8mg in 250 mL of 5% D/W/ IVPB. Infuse at rate of 8 mcg/min. Calculate the flow rate in drops per minute. The drop factor is 6ugtt/mL.

Start with the dose desired (drops per minute).

I assume instead of "6ugtt/mL" you mean 60 gtt/ mL?

60 gtt/mL X 250 mL/8mg X 1 mg/1000mcg X 8 mcg/min =

120,000 gtt/8000 min

15 gtt/min

VickyRN said:

Start with the dose desired (drops per minute).

I assume instead of "6ugtt/mL" you mean 60 gtt/ mL?

60 gtt/mL X 250 mL/8mg X 1 mg/1000mcg X 8 mcg/min =

120,000 gtt/8000 min

15 gtt/min

Yes I meant 60 gtt:chuckle Thank you very much!!!!

I am studying all day today I hope you dont mind if I keep posting questions!!! Thanks!!!!!

i just started to learning these types of question for nursing 4 lol

this is how i do it:

8mcg/min x 1/8000mcg x 250/1 x 60gtt/ml

really ratio propertion works for me. can't go wrong

- janet

minnielynn said:
i have another one:

a.

the order is ivpb 500 ml 0.9% sodium chloride with 20 units of pitocin to be infused at a rate of 4 mu per minute. calculate the flow rate in microdrops per minute:

60 gtt/ml x 500 ml/ 20 units x 1 unit/ 1000 mu x 4 mu/ minute = ???

b.

the order has been increased to 7 mu/min. recalculate the flow rate in microdrops per minute.

60 gtt/ml x 500 ml/ 20 units x 1 unit/ 1000 mu x 7 mu/ minute = ???

thanks!!!!!!

hope this helps!!! ?

minnielynn said:
thank you very much for your reponse!!! as you can see i have spent all day studying for my math final in addition to chem, psych and english. by the time this week is over i will have my eyes stuck behind my head 3_4_20.gif but i understand this is the most important class (right now)

here is another one.......sorry to be a pain in the a--.

magnesium sulfate 4 g iv push, loading dose vial reads 25%. follow with 250 ml d/5/w with one vial of 25% magnesium sulfate, infuse at a rate of 1 gram per hour

a. how many milliliters contain the loading dose?

don't see that information recorded anwhere in the question???

b. calculate the flow rate in millilters per hour for the d/5/w infusion

the 250 ml d5w has one vial of 25% mag sulfate, which is 4 grams.

250 ml/ 4 g x 1 g/ hr =

250/4 = 62.5 ml/ hr

thanks,

lynn

Hope this helps!

i am having trouble converting between systems of measurement, i am trying to teach myself the conversion factor method as well as the ratio proportion method but this problem is giving me a bit of a problem the problem is ---3g=gr_____ help!

Specializes in NICU.

Not sure if this will make sense but this is how I would calculate it:

1 gram = 1000 mg therefore 3 grams = 3000 mg

gr 1 = 60 mg

(3000/60) = 50

So the answer would be 3 g = gr 50

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong or if there is a better way of explaining it.

Specializes in LTC.

1 g = 15 gr

so

3g = 45gr

Specializes in LTC.

To do proportion it would be 1g/15gr : 3g/xgr and cross multiply

1x=(3x15) 45 then divide by 1, 1 goes into 1 one time and 1 goes into 45 fortyfive times. Wa la your answer 45!

+ Add a Comment