NY State may require nurses to obtain 4-year degrees

Nursing Students ADN/BSN

Published

Specializes in CCU, Geriatrics, Critical Care, Tele.

But some worry that an already severe shortage will become worse.

New York is mulling over a requirement that would force all RNs to earn a bachelor's degree in order to keep their RN certification-a step that critics worry could serve as a body blow to a profession already facing a severe shortage.

Under the state Board of Nursing proposal, RNs with associate's degrees would have to earn bachelor's degrees within 10 years, or their RN certifications would be downgraded to that of licensed practical nurse. That would make nursing somewhat like teaching in New York state; certified K-12 teachers need master's degrees or must obtain one within three years of starting a job. It would also add years and thousands of dollars to the difficulty of becoming an RN...

Full Article: http://www.rochesterdandc.com/news/0413BA3TIOG_news.shtml

:p FROM SEA TO SHINING SEA.................................

DEAD PATIENTS, STUPID CHILDREN, DEAD PATIENTS, STUPID CHILDREN

MASH UNITS AT YOUR LOCAL EMERGENCY ROOM WITH DELI COUNTERS TAKE A NUMBER!!!# IF YOUR STANDING YOU ARENT SICK ENOUGH TO BE SEEN **WILL CALL YOU LATER!!!

AND SCHOOLS WITH DIRT FLOORS, SOUNDS RATHER THIRD WORLD DOESNT IT. IT IS COMING.

MAKE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN NOW

SAVE FOR YOUR OWN RETIREMENT BENEFITS, HIDE YOUR MONEY IN YOUR HOUSE

AND TELL THE WORLD TO BITE YOUR ***

go ahead and try it, see what happens, then we all will know

Specializes in O.R., ED, M/S.

Only in New York! It goes from a bad thing to a worse thing!

haven't they done this in some midwestern state? does anyone know how it has worked out? is the shortage more severe in that area? has pay gone up? job satisfaction? just wondering about this.....Also any canadians who have been working under the new BSN only statute what are your thoughts?

Specializes in Oncology/Haemetology/HIV.
haven't they done this in some midwestern state? does anyone know how it has worked out? is the shortage more severe in that area? has pay gone up? job satisfaction? just wondering about this.....Also any canadians who have been working under the new BSN only statute what are your thoughts?

One of the Dakotas had the BSN only stipulation, though they have recently decided to reverse that.

But for one thing, the population was low, and there was no shortage there.

And there is a big difference between the Dakotas and New York.

Several years ago there was an article somewhere about a province in Canada and it's all BSN law. The person who got them to pass the law was an American, her name was Beverly something(I can't remember her last name). Apparently they have a chief nursing officer that is a civil position or something up there. Within a year or two they had such a huge shortage of nurses that she was removed from office and blamed for the whole shortage. However, I think there were a lot of other things going on at the time that contributed to the problem and she made a convienent scape goat.

Good deal. If you want to be treated as a professional, why not require what is considered a professional degree. In just about every field I can think of that is a bachelor's , and in some cases a master's.

bob

It will not come to pass. BSN programs are lacking in hands on. They center on menagement.....We have enough of them already.....

One of the Dakotas had the BSN only stipulation, though they have recently decided to reverse that.

But for one thing, the population was low, and there was no shortage there.

And there is a big difference between the Dakotas and New York.

this is very true! I don't understand why they want to make the existing RN's go back for the BSN if you want to mandate that for the future fine ( i personally think this could be a very good idea in a lot of ways) but everybody already in practice or enrolled in nursing school should not be affected. They should just be "grandfathered" in. And the existing ADN and diploma programs should be offered partnership programs with the Universities and Online BSN programs for telecourses and distance learning options so that getting a BSN is accesible to everyone, otherwise this plan just won't work.

I had heard this might happen and was wondering how it would affect the nursing shortage. I'm not planning on staying in NY state anyways, but it still makes little sense to me. Why offer an ADN if it isn't going to result in a career?

It will not come to pass. BSN programs are lacking in hands on. They center on menagement.....We have enough of them already.....

As a BSN student I take offense at that. There are no "management" classes in our curriculum. We do clinical rotations in Peds, OB, Psych, Adult Health, Community Health, and our senior practicum.

+ Add a Comment