The Certified Nurse Educator (CNE) Examination

Specialties Educators

Published

Specializes in Gerontological, cardiac, med-surg, peds.

the certified nurse educator (cne) examination

the value of certification

certification in any field is a mark of professionalism. for academic nurse educators, it establishes nursing education as a specialty area of practice and creates a means for faculty to demonstrate their expertise in this role. it communicates to students, peers and the academic and health care communities that the highest standards of excellence are being met. by becoming credentialed as a certified nurse educator (cne), you serve as a leader and a role model.

goals of cne certification:

• distinguish academic nursing education as a specialty area of practice and an advanced practice role within professional nursing.
  • recognize the academic nurse educator’s specialized knowledge, skills and abilities and excellence in practice.
  • strengthen the use of core competencies of nurse educator practice.
  • demonstrate a commitment to professional development, lifelong learning and nursing education as a career.

registration

registration is now open for the computer-based cne examination on

april 1 - may 31, 2007 and will close on february 15, 2007.

registration for test dates june 1 - june 31, 2007 will close on april 15, 2007.

registration for test dates sept 1 - dec 28, 2007 will close on august 15, 2007.

http://www.nln.org/eseries/source/custom/01_certificationexam.cfm

eligibility requirements

certified nurse educator examination - frequently asked questions (faqs)

cne detailed test blueprint

recommended references

faculty certification handbook

nln preparation course for certification as nurse educators (cne) exam - may 23, 2007, oklahoma city

this workshop is an intensive, comprehensive review of the major content areas of the test blueprint. it is designed to help potential candidates assess their level of readiness and identify practice domains where further study may be needed.

workshop objectives

• describe the goals of certification for nurse educators.
  • describe the process of creating the cne examination.
  • delineate the role of committees in test development, eligibility requirements policies and procedures.
  • analyze the detailed cne test blueprint.
  • review the content areas in each section of the test blueprint.
  • determine additional resources available for certification preparation.

I took the CNE examination in January, 2006. It was difficult but doable. I scheduled my test at one of the AMP testing centers, and took it by computer. It consisted of 150 multiple choice questions and I had 3 hours to complete the test. Cost was $325 as an NLN member ($425 for nonmembers), and this was reimbursed by my school. I took the Self-Assessment Examination (SAE), which I highly recommend, as this was a great help on the actual CNE examination. The cost for the SAE is $49.95 for NLN members, $64.95 for non-members, and well worth every penny. There are also eight sample questions on pages 12 and 13 of the Certified Nurse Educator (CNE) 2006 Candidate Handbook . As soon as the candidate is finished with the test, he/she is told the test score and if he/she passed or not - so there is no fretful waiting.

Hello Fellow Nurse Educators!

I am new to the forum, and look forward to some great learning discussions. What brings me here tonight is the certification exam for nurse educators. I saw that Vicky had taken the exam. I'd like to know what you thought of the exam. How did you prepare to take the exam? Would you recommend any specific resource to prepare. I did go on the website and saw a long list of references. Did you follow that list? Any feedback at all would be appreciated. I teach at a large ADN program in the southwest. No discussion yet as to making CNE a requirement, I just think I'd like to do it.

Thank you.

firstaidelady

Hello Fellow Nurse Educators!

I am new to the forum, and look forward to some great learning discussions. What brings me here tonight is the certification exam for nurse educators. I saw that Vicky had taken the exam. I'd like to know what you thought of the exam. How did you prepare to take the exam? Would you recommend any specific resource to prepare. I did go on the website and saw a long list of references. Did you follow that list? Any feedback at all would be appreciated. I teach at a large ADN program in the southwest. No discussion yet as to making CNE a requirement, I just think I'd like to do it.

Thank you.

firstaidelady

I had already purchased several of the textbooks in the reference list during my course of study for my MSN-Nursing Education. So, I used some of the reference material in studying for the CNE, but not all. I took the Self-Assessment Examination (SAE), and any concept that I did not understand in the question was highlighted by me. I then went back and thoroughly reviewed my highlighted content (whether in the textbooks or from other sources). This strategy proved very successful to me.

Specializes in Education.

I have a provacative related question. One of the objectives of the CNE is: "Distinguish academic nursing education as a specialty area of practice and an advanced practice role within professional nursing." Currently, nursing does not recognize nursing education as advanced practice. Many state nurse practice acts do not include educators in their definition of advanced practice. Should we as educators lobby to change our nurse practice acts? I know NLN's position on this, but ANA is not discussing it. We do not want to divide nursing over this, but how can we raise nursing education to the value, recognition, and pay that we need to recruit/retain qualified, talented faculty?? :idea:

any insight about the CNE exam. I just read to complete the self assessment helps any other tips.

Specializes in Nursing education and clinical practice.
the certified nurse educator (cne) examination

the value of certification

certification in any field is a mark of professionalism. for academic nurse educators, it establishes nursing education as a specialty area of practice and creates a means for faculty to demonstrate their expertise in this role. it communicates to students, peers and the academic and health care communities that the highest standards of excellence are being met. by becoming credentialed as a certified nurse educator (cne), you serve as a leader and a role model.

goals of cne certification:

• distinguish academic nursing education as a specialty area of practice and an advanced practice role within professional nursing.
  • recognize the academic nurse educator’s specialized knowledge, skills and abilities and excellence in practice.
  • strengthen the use of core competencies of nurse educator practice.
  • demonstrate a commitment to professional development, lifelong learning and nursing education as a career.

registration

registration is now open for the computer-based cne examination on

april 1 - may 31, 2007 and will close on february 15, 2007.

registration for test dates june 1 - june 31, 2007 will close on april 15, 2007.

registration for test dates sept 1 - dec 28, 2007 will close on august 15, 2007.

http://www.nln.org/eseries/source/custom/01_certificationexam.cfm

eligibility requirements

certified nurse educator examination - frequently asked questions (faqs)

cne detailed test blueprint

recommended references

faculty certification handbook

nln preparation course for certification as nurse educators (cne) exam - may 23, 2007, oklahoma city

hi, i have completed my masters in nursing, specialized in pediatrics. i would like to get more information on working in countries outside india and how to go about in applying and working out the same. i am interested in widening my horizons. my first preference is to work in the us as a teaching faculty for nursing.

i would appreciate any help...

Ok I am in a MSN program with a specialty in nursing education would you suggest also being certified? It just sounds redundant? I could be wrong but, after completing a Masters program in nursing education should I consider this?

Ok I am in a MSN program with a specialty in nursing education would you suggest also being certified? It just sounds redundant? I could be wrong but, after completing a Masters program in nursing education should I consider this?

Yes, it is a valuable credential and will add to your marketability.

Specializes in Med-surg, homehealth, and hospice.

Is there a certification program out there for those of us who have a BSN. I have been working as our unit base educator for about 6 months now. I would like to become certified, but at my age I don't want to get my MSN. I think I have seen one but I can't find the information now.

Thanks

Is there one particular book that I would be able to purchase with assistance with these type of questions?

Specializes in Perioperative, Informatics, Education.

Hello

I took an ANCC certification test about 10 years ago for nurse eductors. The credentialing was for staff development and continuing education. I got to tag a C on with my credentials. I don't think they offer this one any more. Too bad for us that are in our age group, with many years of teaching, with a BSN, but don't want to go back to school again for a MSN, that they don't have this certification still available.

Oh, by the way...I'm located over in Mesa, at Banner Heart Hospital.

:balloons:

Trish Flanders

+ Add a Comment