Army Reserve CRNA

Specialties CRNA

Published

I have been searching the forums, but does anyone have additional information or experience pertaining to the 90 day rule for deploying Army Reserve CRNA's. I am in my first semester as a SRNA and have considered signing up, but I am concerned with the pay loss if I am deployed over and over again for four years as a reserve CRNA. I have always wanted to serve our country, but going in as a 1st LT you will only make half of what a CRNA would make if you are deployed. Money is not everything but we are concerned that my wife would not be able to stay at home with our children if we lose this kind of income. I know it is a risk, but how much of a risk?

Thanks in advance!!

Specializes in Education, FP, LNC, Forensics, ED, OB.
I have been searching the forums, but does anyone have additional information or experience pertaining to the 90 day rule for deploying Army Reserve CRNA's. I am in my first semester as a SRNA and have considered signing up, but I am concerned with the pay loss if I am deployed over and over again for four years as a reserve CRNA. I have always wanted to serve our country, but going in as a 1st LT you will only make half of what a CRNA would make if you are deployed. Money is not everything but we are concerned that my wife would not be able to stay at home with our children if we lose this kind of income. I know it is a risk, but how much of a risk?

Thanks in advance!!

Hello, bandit :balloons: ,

Have you tried the Military Nursing forum? I am not an expert with the military requirements at all. There are those here that CAN answer that for you, however.

Good luck.

Bandit

I am an Army veteran (not a CRNA while in the military), and I can tell you one thing for certain. When you are told about a "90 day deployment rule," think "guideline." Where ever possible, the military may try to follow that guideline, but you will sign the same contract as everyone else. In that contract, there is a clause that essentially revokes all promises made. It clearly states that the needs of the Army are paramount, and therefore if it is determined that you are needed to deploy for 90 days or 900 days, that is how long you will be deployed.

Bear in mind, I am not in any way trying to dissuade you from joining the military, nor am I trying to get you to sign up. I am simply trying to make you aware of the realities of the contract you are signing. But, in all some of my best memories are of my time in the military, and I still count some that I served with as the best friends I have ever had.

Kevin McHugh, CRNA

Thanks Siri, I was unaware of that forum. I will surely check into it. KM, I have been informed by another individual that guidelines are made to be broken in the military, I guess I am trying to find an individual who has progressed the same path and experienced how often they are broken. Maybe with an upcoming Democratic Gov., not as much? Uh, did I open a bag of political nightcrawlers?hehe

Thanks

I'm a CV ICU RN / CRNA wannabee with prior service.

Careful with that line of thinking. I served in the Army (active duty enlisted/not CRNA) under the clinton administration. Clinton deployed U.S. Forces more than any other president in U.S. History....see for details...

http://www.house.gov/hunter/CongRecord2-3-99.htm

I myself was deployed to Kosovo with orders that said we would be gone anywhere from 1 month to 1 year with the option to extend our deployment another year if necessary. Actual deployment time was about 5 months. This is different because my pay actually went up from what I normally made with the addition of 'Family Separation Pay", "Hazard Duty Pay", "Temporary Duty Pay", and the elimination of all state and federal taxes while deployed. This would also apply to you if you were activated, but your pay would still be lower than your civilian pay.

I'm like KM in that many of my best memories and friends are from my time in the military.

Sit down with your family and decide what is right for you...together. Don't forget about the "Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act". This legislation vastly reduces or eliminates your payments on credit cards, auto loans, mortgages in the event that you are activated. I used it when I enlisted for a short time which was a life/credit saver. see...

http://www.dod.mil/specials/Relief_Act_Revision/

Good luck no matter what you decide.

Kris Brown

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

I too am a vet and loved every minute of it. However, when you join, you must realize that your life is no longer your own. I was thinking about this too (in order to get some student loans paid off), but decided against it. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

I am an Army Reserve CRNA and have "mobilized" once already in support of GWOT (the global war on terrorism). Here is the story, the 90 day rule applys to certain critical specialties - one of which is CRNAs. The rule is 90 days "boots on ground". This means that you will serve for 90 days once you get to where you are going. I served at William Beaumont Army Medical Center in El Paso TX - so my inprocessing and outprocessing only took a week each. I have friends that ended up in Iraq and Afganistan and thier inprocessing and outprocessing took substantially longer. The OPTEMPO (operations tempo - meaning the requirements for mobilization) is higher now than ever before. If you are in the reserves, you should plan on mobilizing twice in a 4 year period (you have a stabilization period of twice the length of you mobilization), at least. This is predicated on the assumption that the OPTEMPO stays as high as it is. It is our fervent hope that the OPTEMPO wil dramatically decrease with time and as the situation in Iraq and the rest of the world calms down (and the water in the gulf coast recedes!).

I truely value the time I have spent in the Army (19 years) - both active duty and reserves. It is an honor and privledge to care for the best patients in the world! The soldiers and family members of our armed forces. The experiece you will get is second to none.

I think that the Army reserve has a lot to offer and you shouldn't necessary predicate your decision to join based soley on the "chances" of mobilizing. I hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

Franklin

Franklin, thank you. This has been some of the best information I have received yet. I actually spoke with a reserve CRNA two nights ago for about an hour, he is getting ready to deploy. After sharing all of the information I have obtained with the boss (wife), we (I) think we (I again), are going to go for it. Again I must stress that money has never been an issue when compared to a desire to serve, but family and future has. If my wife is willing to eat PB&J's while I get the great experience of deploying that is fine with me. I now get the general since that even though you cannot predict it, that would not be the case (Deployment over and over and over) which would substantially decrease the chances of my wife staying at home with the kids.

Thanks to all!!!

Specializes in Neuroscience ICU, Orthopedics.

I don't mean to hijack your thread Bandit788, but this could be of importance to to you as well. However, to the CRNAs (Reservists - Army/AF/Navy):

Having full-time employment as a CRNA, coupled with being a Reservist, how do you find time to further your development as an Officer, as well as maintaining your educational credits for CRNA licensure, and having time for yourself and family?

As far as Officer development goes, are there certain things, and timelines, one must follow in order to progress up the ranks and not be de-commissioned?

Lambert, I'll answer that.

For Army Reserve AMEDD ( Army Medical Department) the only absolute requirement for Officers is OBC (Officer Basic Course) now don't get too crazy this is a gentleman's course, no obstacle courses, yelling, etc. Now for further military education, its all up to the officer. Here are the guidelines, for MC, AN, DC, SP, (Docs, Nurses, Dentist, Specialty (PAs) only the OBC is required, however if you want to get promoted, ie more pay and advancement in rank, you need to do the Captain's Career Course as a Captain (MEL2: Military education level 2), then as a Major due the Intermediate Education level formally the Command and General Staff College (MEL 3) and after completing these courses you are pretty much going to obtain the Rank of Lietuant Colonel.

Now this is assuming that everything else is in line, height/weight, PT test, evaluations, being in a position that will allow you to be promoted, etc. What it basically comes down to is when the promotions board meets, and they have 4 officers with equal files and one officer has a higher Military education level, guess who is more than likely will get the node, that's right the guy with the higher MEL.

These courses are very easy/doable. both the CCC and IEL both have a correspondence phase and then a two week phase in the summer. the IEL is done over two summer Annual trainings, two weeks each. Both are obtainable and doable. There are other education opprotunities/courses out there, just have to request and have the desire to go to them.

hope that helps

Specializes in Neuroscience ICU, Orthopedics.
Lambert, I'll answer that.

For Army Reserve AMEDD ( Army Medical Department) the only absolute requirement for Officers is OBC (Officer Basic Course) ....

Medic14,

Very good info. Thanks for the breakdown.

+ Add a Comment