Adult nurses wanting to work in the USA..

World Immigration

Published

Hello all

I have been reading many of the posts on here about adult nurses who want to go work in the usa, but who are having difficulty because they lack hours in certain areas of nursing.

There is a place called Langara College in vancouver canada, it has an excellant course specifically for those nurses who need to make up the hours, this may be a bit long winded way around but it can get you what you need... it lets you take mini courses in paeds , obstetrics and mental health, each course has theory and clinical components, you can take the theory part of each course at home via distance learning and then once you have done all your theory you will sit an exam in your home country, upon passing they will let you proceed to go ahead with the clinical part of the course in which you will have to go spend approx 3 weeks in the designated clinical areas, to achieve the clinical hours you need, the clinical aspect is done in vancouver! after this course you will have the required hours you need to be able to register as a nurse in vancouver.... this is the way i am planning on doing it, as I have family in vancouver so i do not mind working there for a short while, the advantage is then i will have the required hours for applying to do the NCLEX .... Anyway I just thought I would share this info with those who wishto know where to make up hours from...because I can tell you now its going to be very hard trying to find a place in the UK! .. if anyone wants more information, please contact me via a pm, or here.

Hope this helps!

Tina K.

Silverdragon102, BSN

1 Article; 39,477 Posts

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC.

thanks Tina

This is great info for the ones needing to make hours up... So nice of you to post it :D

TinaK

97 Posts

thanks Tina

This is great info for the ones needing to make hours up... So nice of you to post it :D

Your welcome Anna, I thought I would post as I know there are many student nurses out there who are in the same boat as me, in that they will be qualifying soon as an Adult nurse under the new curriculum for nurses in the UK and like me they will be lacking in the required hours needed for NCLEX ...this is the only course I have found which is like this, have looked on the web for ages so I was glad this was available! : )

Tina K.

zulu1

40 Posts

Thanks for the info. Just one question, how much does it cost, and how long would it take all together. Thanking you again.

TinaK

97 Posts

Thanks for the info. Just one question, how much does it cost, and how long would it take all together. Thanking you again.

Hiya Zulu

The cost of each nursing area is I believe 1500 canadian dollars (which in UK pounds is around 750 pounds), so for the paediatric theory&practice, its 1500, same for the mental health theory and practice and same for neonatal/newborn nursing... the theory can be done where you are, in your own country but you have to go to vancouver for the practice and practice is usually about 3-4 weeks long for each area, and they have to book the practice in advance as they have only a couple of intakes each year i believe .. check out the website , : )

http://www.langara.bc.ca/cs/programs/RNQC.html

Hope this helps

Tina K.

zulu1

40 Posts

Great! Just wonder if the CGFNS accepts distant theory learning or does it not matter. 2250 pounds does not seem bad and 3 months placement is OK I guess. Cheers for the quick reply.

suzanne4, RN

26,410 Posts

CGFNS issue is whehter or not is an actual approved School of Nursing, where it is located does not matter.

mtroels

21 Posts

Hi,

You helped me a lot with this information because I actually need to do one course in Psychiatric nursing, theory and clinical to be able to do my NCLEX exam here in the USA. I am from Austria and trying to get my license here in the US too. Do you know how much one course like this at Langara College would cost me?

I am thankful for all information you have. Thanks

Tina

Hello all

I have been reading many of the posts on here about adult nurses who want to go work in the usa, but who are having difficulty because they lack hours in certain areas of nursing.

There is a place called Langara College in vancouver canada, it has an excellant course specifically for those nurses who need to make up the hours, this may be a bit long winded way around but it can get you what you need... it lets you take mini courses in paeds , obstetrics and mental health, each course has theory and clinical components, you can take the theory part of each course at home via distance learning and then once you have done all your theory you will sit an exam in your home country, upon passing they will let you proceed to go ahead with the clinical part of the course in which you will have to go spend approx 3 weeks in the designated clinical areas, to achieve the clinical hours you need, the clinical aspect is done in vancouver! after this course you will have the required hours you need to be able to register as a nurse in vancouver.... this is the way i am planning on doing it, as I have family in vancouver so i do not mind working there for a short while, the advantage is then i will have the required hours for applying to do the NCLEX .... Anyway I just thought I would share this info with those who wishto know where to make up hours from...because I can tell you now its going to be very hard trying to find a place in the UK! .. if anyone wants more information, please contact me via a pm, or here.

Hope this helps!

Tina K.

TinaK

97 Posts

Hi,

You helped me a lot with this information because I actually need to do one course in Psychiatric nursing, theory and clinical to be able to do my NCLEX exam here in the USA. I am from Austria and trying to get my license here in the US too. Do you know how much one course like this at Langara College would cost me?

I am thankful for all information you have. Thanks

Tina

Hi mtroels

If you scroll up, have a read of the post I replied to zulu, it details the amount of each module you need to take, if you only need to take the psychiatric theory and practice it is about 1500 canadian dollars :) also somewhere in one of the posts i have typed Langara's website address for anyone wanting to have an indepth look :) hope this helps! pm me if you want any more info! : ) Curious though...if your currently in the usa, then you should have been exposed to some psychiatric theory and practice already as part of your training, as ALL usa nurses need to have this before they sit the NCLEX...

mtroels

21 Posts

Hi!

I did my nursing program in Austria, moved to the USA because of my husband and that's why I need this course now:)

Thanks again

Tina

Hello all

Hope this helps!

Tina K.

TinaK

97 Posts

Hi!

I did my nursing program in Austria, moved to the USA because of my husband and that's why I need this course now:)

Thanks again

Tina

Ahhh I see....yes in that case then you will need to find a programme which will allow you to make up the hours...have you first looked at programmes in the usa? perhaps there are schools which will let you take just the psychiatric theory and clinical aspects? look around there first as the langara college course is in vancouver... and seeing as you have done the other area's of nursing , then perhaps a college in the usa will be of more benefit if its only one area you really need to make up the time in?

mtroels

21 Posts

Hi TinaK,

I called Langara college in Canada but unfortunately they told me that they don't offer this course right now Does anybody have any other suggestions for finding another online university offering this one single course in Psychiatric Nursing online plus the possibility to do the clinical too? Thank you

Tina

Ahhh I see....yes in that case then you will need to find a programme which will allow you to make up the hours...have you first looked at programmes in the usa? perhaps there are schools which will let you take just the psychiatric theory and clinical aspects? look around there first as the langara college course is in vancouver... and seeing as you have done the other area's of nursing , then perhaps a college in the usa will be of more benefit if its only one area you really need to make up the time in?
+ Add a Comment