relocating to asheville,nc

U.S.A. North Carolina

Published

hi out there, i'm relocating to the asheville area in may.my partner will be going to massage school this summer.i'm an rn with many yrs of experience

in peds.looking for info on areas to live,places to work,pay scales,pt ratio areas to live that are safe for two women.thanks

:)

Specializes in Nursing Education.
hi out there, i'm relocating to the asheville area in may.my partner will be going to massage school this summer.i'm an rn with many yrs of experience

in peds.looking for info on areas to live,places to work,pay scales,pt ratio areas to live that are safe for two women.thanks

:)

Asheville is a great location. I moved here alittle over 6 months ago and love it here. The people are very friendly and there is a very diverse community of people here. It is not hard to recognize that we are in the deep south here, but that only translates into making some really great friendships.

I searched long and hard for a great place to live and raise my kids. When I selected Asheville, me and the kids took a vacation here and I was amazed at the beauty as well as the people. There are nursing opportunities here. You might want to check out Mission Hopsitals web site at http://www.missionhospitals.org that is a good place to start. There are also several nursing agencies in town that do a lot of pediatric home care.

I work for the VA and love the place. We obviously do not have a peds program, but Mission Hopsitals does have one.

The cost of living is significantly higher than I originally anticiapted and the overall economy is pretty poor with all the factory closings, but I guess there are lots of retired people here and that is driving the real estate prices pretty high. If you take your time and look at the bedroom communities next to Asheville, sometimes you can get a good deal on a house. I am currently in the market and hope to buy a house soon.

Where are you coming from and when do you plan to move here?

Good luck!

Asheville is a beautiful place. Mission St. Joseph's Hospital in an outstanding institution. I worked there for two wonderful years. The cultural is very diverse. When I lived there, there was an artical in Rolling Stone Magazine that name Asheville "the Little San Fanscisco". There are a lot of festivals and things to do. There is a large homosexual population that is very open. The nature is beautiful and the downtown is great with cafe's and music. The hospital is great! There is also a lot of holistic medicine and alternative medicine there that a lot of the community draws from. I think you will love it! I miss it very much and long to get there. I am living in Huntsville, AL.

Specializes in ABMT.

Hooray! Early welcome to beautiful western NC! I think Asheville is a wonderful town. Property values are on the rise, unfortunately, even in surrounding areas. But Asheville is a really cool town. Definitely "family friendly"--I think you and your partner will feel very much at home. Asheville is in Buncombe county; surrounding Haywood, Henderson, and Madison counties are options for housing relatively nearby. Pay scale--mm, I think base rate for fresh out of school RNs at Mission is around 18/hr? Mission is the main medical center in town; also in the area are Pardee http://pardeehospital.org/index.htm and Park Ridge http://www.parkridgehospital.org/body.cfm?id=10, although, I'd say, for peds, Mission would be the place to go.

Good luck with your move.

warmly,

rebecca

Specializes in Endo, Outpt Surgery, Hospice, LTC, MH,.

I worked at Mission Hospital in the Peds, PICU, NICU and PASU...loved every bit of it and would still be there if not for personal reasons.....There are 2 specific ladies I would fully recommend you talk to if interested in staying in PEDS......

+ Add a Comment