Miami Dade College (MDC) Fall 2012 Full-time/Part-time Nursing program - Page 14Register Today!
- May 29, '12 by WmusserI called today and they said mid-June...
- May 30, '12 by deisybearI sent an email regarding the background check and whatnot and was told that the background check, drug tests, etc. need to be done after you receive your notification of acceptance into the program. Everything that needs to be done will be provided with the acceptance notification. I was also told that notices will begin to go out mid-June!!
- May 31, '12 by mary2012Hi daisybear!
Thank u so much for sharing the information. I just called to reschedule my appointment for the background check to make sure I do it after notifications are send out. I was also told we should be receiving those mid June. Just 2 more weeks... So excited!!!
- Jun 1, '12 by @ngelFinally June!!
Between my summer classes and waiting for notification
it's driving me crazy..
- Jun 1, '12 by mary2012Hey @ngel!
Try to relax and dont think about it too much. I was just looking at previous years threads and we should wxpect notifications no before the 10. Actually, last year people received their emails on the 13. We still have a couple of days ahead of us :/
- Jun 1, '12 by mary2012Does anyone know where can we go for the medical checkout once we get the acceptance emails?
- Jun 3, '12 by on eagles wingsQuote from EMMUNOZHey there,Good morning!! I was wondering if anyone's heard or read anything about new nursing grads not finding jobs. I keep reading that places aren't hiring inexperienced grads.
I wouldn't worry about that. A ton of new grads get jobs all the time. I'm in my third semester of the FT program and a lot of nurses tell me they love MDC new grads. Where I did my medsurg clinical, the charge nurse encouraged us to apply when we graduated b/c she loved getting new grads. This was on a tele floor.
My suggestion to getting a job here is
1) Know spanish or kreyol
2) get good grades, duh
3) NETWORK. As in, get to know your teachers, especially your clinical ones. Show them you work hard. Don't take out your phones during clinical, ask lots of questions, etc. I got my PCT job because of my medsurg teacher. She even offered to write me recommendations.
4) get to know the charge nurse of w/e floor you'll be rotating on. Tell them what you like about their unit, how the nurses have facilitated your learning.
5) Make a good resume, show it to your teachers, ask them to help you with it. By second semester you should already be thinking of stuff to put on it.
6) Not necessary but its good to have some experience, like PCT experience. After your medsurg clinical you could challenge the CNA exam.
7) Go to ALL the job fairs at the medical campus, talk to some of the recruiters, leave them your number even.
8) Be active at school. Get involved in the community health fairs we do, go to the SNA meetings. Faculty will love you.
Getting a job isn't always hard if you know the right people. And you only know them if you get yourself out there. Always remember that when you are in clinical, people are watching you. The nurses can tell if you are lazy or like what you are doing. Remember you are representing MDC.
Good luck guys!
- Jun 4, '12 by @ngelHey guys!
Finally spoke to the Director of advisement today. She told me for full time generic there was a little under 1000 applications. Average compared to previous years. I asked what the expected cutoff would be. She didn't tell me a specific score. However, she did tell me that last fall 2011 the cutoff was 82. That's after 2nd string of emails. The spring of 2012 was even lower. She said with the scores she has seen and the info that she has gotten from the nursing dept. that there is no indication the cutoff would be any higher this time around. Part time will be significantly higher cutoff because of only 50 seats. I think it would be safe to say any one with a competitive score over 84 or 85 should be in the first string of acceptance emails. Also,the nursing dept is not ready with the emails. Expect emails to be sent out a little after mid June.Last edit by @ngel on Jun 4, '12
- Jun 4, '12 by @ngelAlmost forgot.
The June 29th date is more or less the deadline to let them know we accept the seat. Everything on the list(background,cpr,etc) should be done by orientation around July 18th. If we have problems completing them by that date, we have to let them know before orientation so we can still register for classes.