JAX Mayo Clinic RN Residency insight?Register Today!
This is a discussion on JAX Mayo Clinic RN Residency insight? in Florida Nursing, part of United States Nursing ... hello, i recently applied for the mayo clinic's rn residency in jacksonville. i know it's VERY...by hollarz Aug 25, '12hello,
i recently applied for the mayo clinic's rn residency in jacksonville. i know it's VERY competitive and was wondering if anyone has gone through the process before. specifically, what is the "phone screen"--what type of questions do they ask? and how long did it take to hear from them?
also, what do they look for? my gpa is ok-ish (barely above 3.5), i am a bsn, and had have paid hospital work experience. my biggie negative is that i graduated back in '08 and haven't worked as an rn yet (i elected to join the military, which is what i explained in my cover letter). will four years and no rn job be a no-go? thoughts and insights are appreciated--thanks!!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=777333©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 2,337 Views
- Sep 3, '12 by transplantlifehollarz,
I've just graduated from school in Phoenix, AZ and have applied for this go round at Mayo Jax as well. I'm told the phone screen will include some behavioral questions and if we get past that, we'll be interviewed either live or via Skype in front of a panel of the NM's who will be taking us on as new grads. They will choose who they want to take into their unit. Good luck! Hope to see you on the floor someday.
- just got a call from hr this morning!!! i woke up and saw the missed call and voice mail icon on my screen. i'm going for a jog right now, so i can calm down a bit before calling them back--don't want to sound wayyyyyy too excited! just happy to still be in the running!
- Sep 5, '12 by transplantlifeI just got a call too and have a phone screening appointment!Last edit by transplantlife on Sep 5, '12 : Reason: simple edit
- congrats!!!! when is yours? mine is tomorrow???? i was surprised that they scheduled it that soon. do you have a fl license yet? i have to change mine from ca and i know it takes awhile but that's why i applied so long ago. she also told me about the skype interview (if i make it that far). i think she said they scored all the applicants and are now calling something like the top 1/3. i was/am concerned about the fact that i graduated like 4 years ago and haven't worked as an rn but since i made it to the top 1/3, they must see something in me which is uplifting. their job announcement said they prefer bsn and hospital work experience and i have both, so that must have helped :-). definitely doing a full out lift and cardio session before the screening, so i am nice and relaxed :-).
- Sep 5, '12 by transplantlifeWell, I'll do without the lifting and cardio workout thanks... my phone screen completed and I thought it went well. Now onto finding out if I make it to the interview process. Good luck, maybe we actually will see each other on the floor someday.
- Sep 5, '12 by Knoxyboywhat was the phone interview like? what kind of things do they ask?
- transplantlife, i was wondering if you could give me some tips as well. i read in another post of yours that you are/were military, like myself. did they seem interested in hearing about that? what did they want to know; i.e. background, behavioral questions, clinical questions. how long did it take? any help would be really appreciated. if you feel more comfortable, you can email me at my personal email: email@example.com. thanks so much!!
- or you can pm me on this site. thanks again.
- Sep 6, '12 by hollarzQuote from Knoxyboyit was really short. mine was 18 min. but that's because i asked questions and did a bit of chit chatting at the end. i think she reviews your info and asks some people different questions. like for me, she asked about my other job/ if availability would be an issue. also goals and general resume discussion (pretty much what the screening scheduler lady said). for others, she discussed different things (not going into detail with this because it's not my info to share). hope this helps.what was the phone interview like? what kind of things do they ask?