Hillsborough Community College Spring 2013 - page 72
Hello all, I thought I would start a thread for those of us applying to HCC's Spring 2013 nursing program. I am a Veterinary Technician/stay at home mom. I'm gathering everything for my application and hoping to drop it off at... Read More
- 1Oct 17, '12 by Jhart13You guys probably already know this, but if you can't get your immunization records from your old doctors or parents, most schools have retained them at the county level. If you call the school district, they can tell you who to call to obtain these records. I graduated over 12 years ago and am still able to retrieve mine. All I had to do was email a request with the information they required, and the county will mail out the records within 1-2 business days. Now that's good service!
- 0Oct 19, '12 by sistermargoQuote from dj41106I just checked the class times and days for Southshore online and the class time says from 2-5. Didn't the acceptance letter give the choice for 9-1? Because its not even listed as an option online, only 2-5. Now I am worried
you are right, dj41106, most of the times are different from what we signed for. Hard to tell what was the purpose of that paper, and how they are going to accomodate everyone.
Any news from those, who appealed? Less than a month until orientation, how is everybody doing?
- 0Oct 22, '12 by KKJA8855Quote from kvil713I spoke to someone by email and she told me last week that the Committee met and she would be mailing out letters last week. Well I didn't receive a letter so I emailed her again last week and she told me we'd be notified within 2 weeks. So who knows at this point. I've pretty much given up on the program at HCC, I have orientation on Wednesday to start at Galen in November. Tired of waiting for HCC to get it together. Good luck to all!!Have any appeals heard anything yet? The Nursing Assistant said that she thought appeals letters were mailed last week. Still waiting for an answer here.
- 0Oct 23, '12 by rjeudy31Quote from kvil713I emailed them yesterday and got the response that neither appeals nor alternates have been notified and will be notified within the next 2 weeks. More waiting
Still waiting for alternate news over here also. I went back to last years spring class thread and the alternates found out if they got in or not last spring a week ago, hopefully we get some good news soon.
- 8Oct 23, '12 by GradiusQuote from RachaneeHey all... I meant to comment on this about 2 weeks ago... I wanted to write something inspirational as my final post to this thread along with my appeal update but alas I never got around to that part and I'm a lot busier with TEAS prep and other stuff (see below) So I will just give my update.It's been quiet here the past few days. Orientation is only about a month away now! Any of our alternates or appeals hear any news yet?
I got my AP/CLEP transcripts in my hand (the reasons for my denial, I remind you) back on like October 3 or so, well past the September 28 appeal deadline. Looking back though, I later realized that when I had the denial letter opened, I was sad for about an hour, but came to discover that this was actually a blessing in disguise.
Why? First and foremost, my Spring 2013 denial saved me the notion of having to drive from SW Orlando to Tampa 3 days a week, due to the fact that my current apartment lease here ends 4/4/2013. Would have been murder on my car, as well as my time management.
Second and more importantly, this denial opened up the opportunity for me to apply to the Accelerated BSN programs at UCF, UNF, and USF, respectively. And what's even better is that they have both different and additional prereqs which I've already taken, and I have a 3.85 prereq GPA with them (vs a 3.52 prereq GPA at HCC) so I am in even better shape. The only problem is that UCF and UNF require the TEAS but I have bought some materials for that and will be taking it for the first time in December.
Nonetheless... the ABSN, assuming I get into at least one of the schools, puts me at a May 2013 start, a month after my current apartment lease ends. Therefore this is perfect timing for me because if I have to move for school I can. PLUS, I will graduate BSN in August 2014, putting me on target to join the Air Force (my whole reason for doing Nursing, oh man you girls would have loved me in my Scrubs first and AF blue uniform later, I'm sure... LOL) even sooner than I initially hoped had I done the RN - BSN later. That said I still plan to apply to HCC Fall 2013 as a Fall back but I'll be crossing my fingers for an ABSN admission at either UCF, UNF, or USF (in that order). Each have their perks: UCF: I live here in Orlando already (come say hi to me at Disney if you want, I still work there in addition to my current IT job, haha); UNF: their 4th and final semester is only 5 credits; USF also has a Fall 2013 ABSN start should I not get in their Summer 2013 one.
SO, that said... that is my story and for now I'm "sticking to it." I know each and every one of you are thrilled at your upcoming Nursing future and I am confident that each and every one of you will excel at what we are all destined to do. If you didn't have potential, you would not have been selected.
Just promise me one thing... remember why you are there. It should not be about the money to you, or the prestige in having the letters "RN" after your name. You are there to make a difference. While the doctors of the world may treat the diseases, for instance, it is the NURSE who will provide the majority of the comfort that patients need. Remember that it is YOU who can play a part in things like setting the broken arm of the boy who falls out of a tree so he can play with his dog again; it is the NURSE who can be the caregiver for the male Senior with the shots he needs or whatnot, so he can be strong enough to renew his vows with his wife of 50 years... etc etc, hopefully you know where I'm going with this.
^(Okay there's my inspiration for you, if that counts)
The point being: it is the NURSE who has enormous potential to Make a Difference.
That Nurse will be you. Farewell.