Did you take microbiology? Nursing Students BCC
- 0Dec 22, '09 by jam911what happens if you get to the end of the nursing program and you have not taken MicroBiology, Does that mean you cant walk for graduation (Nursing Ceremony)? you cant take state board.. just curuious... I will be takinng mines next semester.. anyone heard of Mrs. *. *****. and a Mrs. *. ***** i was trying to get in ***** and ****** but those 2 are full..Last edit by tnbutterfly on Dec 28, '09 : Reason: TOS re names/initials
- 2,788 Visits
- 0Dec 27, '09 by GabbsRNI took ** @ North and loved him. However, it seems like every single micro class except for one professor @ south is full. I would totally recommend checking every morning around 8am for an opening in one of the classes for the professors you mentioned and for ** @ north. I did that with the professor I wanted to take for AP2 and one day there was an opening so I grabbed it. People drop for different reasons, people forget to pay by their due date, etc. So openings can come up, especially right before class starts.
As far as what happens if you don't take it by the time the program is finished.....you won't graduate. I don't know if you can go to candlelighting, but you will not graduate or be board eligible if you don't complete the program fully. You will have 6 weeks off the first summer so you can do micro then if all else fails.Last edit by tnbutterfly on Dec 28, '09 : Reason: Terms of Service re. names/initials
- 0Dec 28, '09 by GabbsRNOk am I seeing things? I could have sworn you asked me to PM you with the name, and I was in a rush and had to go at the time. So here I am, and its not there. But it seems you figured it out because it is 4 letters and starts with * and ends in *.
He only teaches micro and micro lab. He doesn't do any nursing courses.
He does try to make you think when taking the tests. Its nothing like the nursing tests, but its a start in critical thinking. With us, after the lecture tests he would go and grade them and then come out into the hallway and show us what we got. Later on in the day, he would email the grades to everyone, so if you didn't stay, no biggie, you'd still get your grade later. He also gives 1 or 2 more questions on the test for extra credit.
The big thing with him is:
1) he really tries to break the info down so that you understand it. You will not need the book, at all. He provides lecture notes and anything he's ever tested on has come from there.
2) he really cares about teaching
3) this is the most important......no teacher I ever had has ever done this, and you probably won't ever see another teacher again do this, but on the saturdays before the test, he will go to school and do a review for anyone who wants. Its usually 2-3 hours, but it was a help nonetheless.
I had an A average with him, but unfortunately he was only teaching half the semester and the other half was taught by someone else and he was HORRIBLE! Worst teacher I ever had. Lecture slides came straight from the book (which not a whole lot of people had anymore), so you might have well just stayed at home and read your book instead of coming to class, and test questions came from the air. For a "review" he would give us a "list" of words, which I have no idea what the use was for because most of them were not on the test, but we thought we were supposed to use these words to study from- like use them as a guide and study the concepts surrounding them. There were things on the test he never included on the list. He was very unhelpful in every aspect. I would avoid him at all costs. And Its not like my grade dropped and I am upset saying this.....I am not the only one........I had several friends who all had A averages, people who had high GPA's, whose grade dropped when the new professor took over. His initials are **. I ended up getting B's which I was unhappy about because I am totally competitive with myself. But I am still thrilled because I had heard micro was hard. Maybe it is, but I found it very interesting and I didn't really think it was that hard. I did have to study, but looking back, its cake compared to the nursing program.
Oh, I had heard great things about ****** ******* @ central, too. My friend took him in 6 weeks over the summer and got A's. She said if it wasn't for him as the professor, she would have never got those A's. MY top 2 choices were ** @ central and ** @ north. SO was completely full within a week of registration, so I took **.Last edit by tnbutterfly on Dec 28, '09 : Reason: Terms of Service re. names/initials
- 0Dec 28, '09 by tnbutterfly Adminterms of service reminder
several posts have been edited to comply with the terms of service regarding posting identifying information about instructors. according to the terms of service,
no potentially libelous information about specific schools, instructors, or health care facilities/entities should be posted in these forums. while it is important to be able to network, everyone should be mindful of the following:
- it is a small world - when we narrow it down to a state and throw in some personal info, there is actually a pretty good chance someone may recognize you if you are not careful. your privacy is paramount to us.
- while allnurses.com is a wonderful place to vent (without excess personally identifiable details) it is not the place to express why ("x" specific person, place or program) is terrible. gripe away, but since we cannot permit allegations to be made about named entities, your care in not naming them is very much appreciated.
- please do not give out personal information about others. do not name names (or initials) where anyone could identify the person in any facility including your nursing programs.
it is better to communicate this type of information via private messages. members may send private messages once they have 15 posts.
- 0Dec 29, '09 by labrador4122Quote from jam911you can't walk and your name won't be able to get your diploma, or be able to sit for the nclex.what happens if you get to the end of the nursing program and you have not taken MicroBiology, Does that mean you cant walk for graduation (Nursing Ceremony)? you cant take state board.. just curuious... I will be takinng mines next semester.. anyone heard of Mrs. *. *****. and a Mrs. *. ***** i was trying to get in ***** and ****** but those 2 are full..
there were a few people like that in my class, but at the last semester they ended up taking microbiology.