Broward College starting Jan 2013 - Page 20Register Today!
- Sep 27, '12 by lua92Hey what campus is best for nursing?
Ive heard so many things about all the campuses, but mostly that north is the best.
Just wanted to know what you guys have heard or where your planning on going.
- Sep 27, '12 by lex7626Does anyone know which hospitals each campus uses for clinicals?
- Sep 27, '12 by kalx201Quote from lua92Well I heard that north and south are the easier ones and central is supposedly really hard. I'm still going to go to central though... If I get accepted that is.Hey what campus is best for nursing? Ive heard so many things about all the campuses, but mostly that north is the best.Just wanted to know what you guys have heard or where your planning on going.
- Sep 27, '12 by kalx201Quote from jstark310Hi I saw your message but this site wouldn't let me message you back because it says I haven't made enough posts... Idk lol but yeah my status says denied and all I have is one point for living in broward.I have the same thing!!! Okay so glad you have it as well. I think it just means they haven't awarded us all the points yet. I have hosa hesi and GPA section blank. Ill go in tomorrow and ask
- Sep 28, '12 by benincasaQuote from Juliansmom2011I did not say they told me there are no longer accepting waivers. What I said was since Health Science Admissions is no longer approving the waivers, they need to be sent to the RN department for approval. If you have a CNA license you can use it to waive the HCP course. When you apply, they will send your license over to the RN department for approval.So they told you that their no longer expecting HCP 0001 waivers anymore? Regardless if you have a CNA licence? I emailed them and I have yet to receive a response.
Also, can someone tell me what is an SLS course; and what course number is needed to register for it?
- Sep 28, '12 by kalx201Quote from levzahav9I haven't called them yet but I don't have any points for my GPA I'm guessing they haven't evaluated that part yet=/ IDK. I also wasn't given any HOSA points and I was in HOSA so I'm just thinking they haven't evaluated all of my stuff yet.what the heck I thought you had a 3.2! Are you going to ask admissions what's up?
- Sep 28, '12 by YourSoulVainI've gotten a few messages and due to my newly-activated account, I can't private message responses so I'm gonna post them here.
The HCP0001 class is REQUIRED to apply to Nursing. The class is offered at every BC campus and even FAU, among others. The certificate given at the end of the course can be used at any school. If you have a job or license in a health care field in which you directly come in contact with patients in some way, speak to an advisor or the instructors for the HCP class and they can discuss a waiver. The HCP course is essentially an introduction to medical professions, with a special concentration in nursing and patient care. Throughout the course, you will learn how to properly take blood pressure using different techniques, patient movements from bed to chair (etc.). For example, a CNA or PCT will know many of these skills already. I know of several people who received waivers in time to refund the class. I finished my HCP0001 over the summer at BC Central and it took about 8 weeks. I received my certificate on the last day and turned in a copy (NOT THE ORIGINAL) with my nursing application.
And SLS course is a new Nursing requirement that has yet to be created. Essentially, it is a course designed to help you achieve your goals, such as a "Learning Strategies" course or an "Academic Success" course. They will implementing this requirement soon, so look out for the course numbers they provide you. I would liken this class to a "College 101" class usually aimed at freshmen and transfer students, but it will be tailored to students attempting to enter a specific field.
I also strongly suggest registering for your certifications of continuing education. To graduate from the nursing program, you must complete the "HSC"s, which are a one-time (usually) seminar on a certain topic. Once completed, you receive a certificate for that area and these are necessary. I am taking them starting in October. I chose dates that work around my schedule such as saturdays, or some week nights. The required courses are:
HSC0691 Domestic Violence
HSC0692 Prevention of Medical Errors
These courses are offered plenty of times each semester and you can ever go now (Literally RIGHT NOW) to BC registration online and sign up for these. The dates and times vary so pay close attention to those. I am currently taking Prevention of Medical Errors online which gives me from Sept 1st until Dec 7th to complete 4 modules and receive my certification. Time these carefully as these educational certifications last roughly 2 years, with some exceptions. I will complete all of mine before January so that I won't have to worry about doing them during the program. With completing them now, I have 2 years to complete the nursing program and become stable and comfortable in my career with time to spare before I am required by law to renew them by retaking these short, one-time-only, hours-long classes.Last edit by YourSoulVain on Sep 28, '12
- Sep 29, '12 by Larimar7My understanding was that the pre-health career core certifcate courses had to be completed BEFORE starting the nursing program, so I have completed all of them already. See below from the Q&A section of the Broward College nursing site.
Pre-Health Career Core required certificate courses: Are required to be completed prior to starting the nursing program. Must be Florida Board of nursing approved and have a FBN Number. The Basic Life Support (CPR) must be American Heart of Association only. The HSC/CAE Courses preferred to be completed at Broward college.
HSC 0691 Domestic Violence - 2 contact hrsHSC 0405 Basic Life Support (CPR) - 8 contact hours
HSC 0522 TB / OSHA / HEPATITIS - 6 contact hrs
HSC 0591 HIV/HIV/AIDS - 4 contact hours
HSC 0692 Prevention of Medical Errors - 2 contact hrs
I sure hope we find out this week! This waiting is soooooooo hard.
Last edit by Larimar7 on Sep 29, '12