Women in the AirRegister Today!
- by Sugah Britches Jun 1, '06Flight nursing seems to be dominated by the guys. (or at least in my part of the world). Are there any women FN's here? Do you find that it is male dominated?
- Jun 1, '06 by Beary-niceI am not a FN but the ones at the facility I work for are female. I think there are 3 of them...all female. When they go on a call it is one of them, a paramedic (all are male at our place) and the pilot (also all male). It varies I'm sure...just know I will not be a FN anytime soon and I have the deepest respect for those who are or want to be!
- Jun 1, '06 by traumaRUsI work at a large hospital with 20 flight nurses (about 25% male, 75% female), pilots that are 100% male.
- Jun 1, '06 by Sugah BritchesHhhmm, must be a thing around here. I know of 2 seprate crews, 1st is all male, and the 2nd crew. 2 out of 20 are female.
- Jun 4, '06 by vivianharrsiOur base is almost totally female for the nurses - and the medic I fly with is female. We're called "the featherweight crew" because we can basically transport any patient that doesn't max out our stretcher on weight.
- Jun 4, '06 by npingeorgiai think it depends on where you are. I have worked for 2 programs in which mostly the nurses were females and paramedics male. i have seem programs though with not one female on the entire staff. Not sure about that one.
just remember as females we have been doing it backwards and in high heels for years to get the same recognition as males. if you are truley interested in becoming a flight nurse, prepare yourself well and you can't be turned down.
- Jun 4, '06 by EricJRNI don't have stats for the service that flies in my area, but from my experience I'd say it's about 50-50 or maybe that there are slightly more women.
- Jun 8, '06 by Sugah BritchesQuote from npingeorgiaIt's an idea that I have been tossing around. When you say "prepare", what do you suggest? I have ACLS, PALS, TNCC.. hoping to be CCRN in the next few months.. currently working in CCU and ED.if you are truley interested in becoming a flight nurse, prepare yourself well and you can't be turned down.
- Aug 31, '06 by flightRNAll female RN's and male medics and pilots at my company!