Still a new grad for 1 1/2 yrs.Register Today!
This is a discussion on Still a new grad for 1 1/2 yrs. in First Year After Nursing Licensure, part of Nursing Career Advice ... It's been 1 1/2 years since I graduated nursing school. I had the great opportunity to study abroad...by alisa1226 Sep 26, '12It's been 1 1/2 years since I graduated nursing school. I had the great opportunity to study abroad in Thailand at in international university. The process for everything to transfer, finalize and then pass the NCLEX took over a year. I'm currently looking for a position in California, but being that it's been 1 1/2 years since nursing school and graduating from another country, I'm feeling overwhelmed when thinking about starting my first position. It's as if all the knowledge I gained through my 4 yr program has escaped my mind. Just thinking about nursing diagnoses and charting is making my mind hurt. I feel like I've forgotten everything. Although I was fortunate enough to work as PCT in a pediatric unit for the past 6 months so I've started to get a feel for how the health care system works here in comparison to another country. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to prepare for my first job? I would truly appreciate any kind of feedback.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=788883©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,107 Views
- Oct 1, '12 by not.done.yetI can't really think of anything you can do to prepare for your first job other than obtain one. I know the job market in California is tough right now but hopefully your PCT position will help you get a position where you are currently working. Best of luck.
- Oct 1, '12 by alisa1226Thank you! I know with hard work and a positive outlook everything will work out.
- Oct 5, '12 by LaceyRN12I just landed a job and it's been 1 1/2 years since I graduated as well. I, too, feel like I've forgotten everything and it really freaks me out. But people say that you learn everything you need to know ONCE YOU GET YOUR JOB.
- Oct 5, '12 by RubySlippers06Some community colleges offer RN refresher courses. Maybe you could look into that.
- Oct 5, '12 by alisa1226Congrats on getting the job! It's nice to know that you're not the only one going through it. Thank you for the advice Good luck with new job!
- Oct 5, '12 by alisa1226Thank you for the reply. I will look into that, thanks