New Grad: 8 months later, a job offerRegister Today!
This is a discussion on New Grad: 8 months later, a job offer in First Year After Nursing Licensure, part of Nursing Career Advice ... After months of searching, I finally got a job offer at a reputable hospital close to home (I...by Little_Mouse Jan 13, '10After months of searching, I finally got a job offer at a reputable hospital close to home (I didn't have to move out of state and this is in California, of all places!).
I hope that this serves as a sign of hope for those of you NGs still looking for a job. It takes a lot of time, perseverance, patience...and networking.
Honestly, I believe that's what landed me this job. It wasn't by a fellow RN, but by a health care worker in the facility. Graduated in May '09, passed NCLEX in June and didn't really start looking for a job until July. But from July to December '09 I had been applying online and in-person to hospitals, LTC facilities and a doctor's office. I networked with people where I volunteer, and even with friends of friends that worked in a hospital. All that just to get my name out there. I pretty much stopped applying to hospitals towards the end of December and haven't done so in the past 3 weeks (from today). Even so, I was surprised at how I was getting phone calls (be it from doctor's offices or from a person I had networked with) regarding possible job opportunities. Throughout all this, especially the darkest of moments, it helped to pray and hope. And, finally, today I got a job offer.
I hope this helps. Good luck to all of you, especially during this difficult time.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=449935©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 2,411 Views
- Jan 13, '10 by caliotter3Congratulations! Your perserverance and faith worked.
- Jan 13, '10 by ~♥Living2Learn♥~Congratulations!!
- Jan 14, '10 by prinsessaCongratulations!
- Jan 15, '10 by Little_MouseThank you! It was made especially sweet since I was told the day before my birthday. What a present!
- Jan 15, '10 by willbern04CONGRTULATIONS!!!!!!
WHEREABOUT IN CALIFORNIA ARE YOU? I ALSO PASSED NCLEX JUNE '09.
'BEEN TO 3 INTERVIEWS AND PROBABLY THOUSAND OF APPLICATIONS BUT NO LUCK SO FAR. YOUR STORY IS REALLY INSPIRING. I WILL START FILLING APPLICATIONS AGAIN WITH VENGEANCE
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR NEW JOB
PS: BELATED HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY....
- Jan 15, '10 by llgCongratulations!
... And thank you for shaing your story. It might help others who are still in search of that first job opportunity. I'm sure we all hope it is a sign of good things to come -- both for you and for everyone looking for work.
- Jan 16, '10 by Jboo510I received my license in November and been applying everywhere but most place require a year of experience. I am getting hopeless ;(
- Jan 18, '10 by Little_MouseTo Willbern04: I'm in So Cal, Orange County area.
To Willbern04 and Jboo510: Allnurses.com has a lot of good advice. Just search for it by typing "new grad resume", "new grad job search", etc. and it will come up with a lot of good advice. Much of the advice is really helpful. Keep applying, improve your resume, volunteer at a hospital or red cross, NETWORK with people, and keep your head up. When your down, the only direction now is up.
- Jan 18, '10 by BKCinNOLAum.. YAY! Congrats!!! I'm so happy you didn't have to move out of state!! You're going to do awesome! Congrats, again!!
p.s. I finally got called for the picu interview today!! So excited/nervous!