I graduate in May and I just found out I am pregnant!Register Today!
- by nursenatalie Jan 23, '03I am a little overwhelmed right now. I am concerned about getting grounded in a new career and having a baby in September! If anyone has been in a similar situation or has any words of encouragement please help!!!!!!!!!!Last edit by nursenatalie on Jan 23, '03
- 952 Views
- Jan 23, '03 by EmeraldNYLNursenatalie, a girl in my accelerated one year BSN program was pregnant, delivered the baby during our 3 week winter break, and went right back to classes in January! Wow! Congrats on your pregnancy, you can do it!!
- Jan 23, '03 by OzNurse69Hey Natalie, congratulations!! I was in the same boat as you when I graduated - a long time ago, but we won't go into that!!
Anyway, don't know what your financial situation is, but after I started I found out I couldn't keep up with the working full time, and trying to do all the assignment work required in my grad program, so I resigned. Had my son, then went back & did my grad year when he was 8 mo. Hubby took 12 mo off while I did it, so I didn't have to worry about the house, the baby etc.
I thought the 12 months break between finishing my course & starting work might be a problem, but it actually wasn't - it's amazing how much you retain that comes back to you when you least expect it!
Like I said, don't know what your situation is, but that is what worked for me. Good luck!!
- Jan 24, '03 by hroy639hi, nice nick. can we be friends
- Jan 24, '03 by anitameCongrats! As overwhelming as it seems now, everything always just seems to work out. Good luck!
- Jan 24, '03 by StargazerWow, natalie, it's going to be a big year for you. Congratulations on both counts! Can you share what area you're planning to go into, and whether you are able (financially and logistically) to take time off or work only part-time? It might help folks here in advising you.
Congrats again. :hatparty:
- Jan 24, '03 by nursenatalieHey, well we have been surviving while I am in school on my husband's salary alone so just working part time would put us in a better financial situation than we are in now. My main concerns are
1. Is the hospital of my choice going to hire me knowing that as soon as orientation and preceptorship is over I will have to take off to have a baby?
2. Im concerned that I will feel like a new grad for 2 years + because I wont work full time and will take a couple months off at the beginning....
3. Im just freaking out!! I have been married for five years and have a three year old daughter, I am now getting closer to accepting the news rather than just absolutely freaking out!!!!!!
- Jan 24, '03 by RainbowzLPNCongrats on graduating & the baby! I think you'll be ok w/being able to juggle things, you'll be a great mom!
- Jan 24, '03 by louloubell1Hi, nursenatalie. Congratulations on the blessing! It would be illegal for anyplace to not hire you just because you are pregnant. That being said. . . it does happen, but know your rights, & don't be afraid to assert them.
The only thing that may kind of stink for you will be qualifying for FMLA leave for when you have the baby. You have to have worked for a place for at least a year to qualify. If you don't qualify for FMLA, the company you're working for doesn't have to provide the employer cost of your benefits (so if you need the medical insurance from your employer you will have to pay COBRA rates which are outrageous), & they don't have to hold your job for you. . .but this is one of those cases in which the nursing shortage sort of helps you out! Seems like every place needs nurses so bad that you really don't have to worry much about having a job to go back to.
EmeraldNYC, I was in the same boat as you. My husband and I had our 3rd baby during my 5th semester of school. I had him two days before Thanksgiving of that year, & then I went back to school on Monday of the next week (the week before finals). Rough, rough, rough. . .
Again, congrats nursenatalie!!
Convicted of placenta previa & serving time on couch arrest ~ Day 22
- Jan 25, '03 by nursenatalie~Thanks guys...I am thinking more rationally now and starting to take it all in. I know it wont be easy but I can do it...Thanks