Am I doing the right thing? New nurse getting butt kicked - Page 6Register Today!
- Jan 27 by CherryLightYou are not alone in your feelings....I graduated in May '12 and started working July '12 also. I COMPLETELY relate to your post. However, I do recognize the growth in my abilities and knowledge, no matter how minor. This has given me hope and inspired more confidence within myself. It will not happen over night, but because we care enough to persevere and keep trying, we WILL get there!
- Jan 28 by j_tay1981Thanks for your reply, Cherry. I just got off of a very easy shift and as about to sleep for a bit before going back tonight. I also feel as as though I am slowly getting better and more proficient as nurse, but again slowly is the operative word
It bothers me that I get so nervous prior to and during work, but I guess that melts away with time..
- I think it's because of sooooo much stress. We have soo much responsibility. I used to get crazy anxiety...still do a little bit. I've been thinking of switching to midnights because the night before work, I can't fall asleep! Ugh. One thing that has helped me....I go and workout a few times before my shift. I run on the treadmill as fast as I can (like for 30 min) and then come home and do relaxing yoga. It has helped a lot. Do you ever imagine what types of pts you'll get? Lol. Ugh. Like worrying about it will do anything. Lol. How are midnights with this type of anxiety? Oh and I'm only a tech right now...I'm in nursing school
- And I'm sorry you get so nervous. You getting nervous before work means you don't if ever make mistakes...am I right? I think that's why I worry so dang much.
- Jan 28 by j_tay1981Haha, yes I do imagine the types of patients I'll have. And it doesn't help :-) I've learned that much anxiety stems from looking too far into the future and anticipating the worst case scenario. I try to not indulge these thoughts, but it's tough
- Lol. Well then we are in the same boat. Hehe. The joys of stress. Ugh
- Jan 29 by alicat213I have an anxiety disorder as well and i find that medicine is worthless i also have a heart problem which makes my heart race i worry to end with patients. I had to leave work before bc walking into work ive had panick attacks and had to cut bsck on hours to help me as well. All i learned to do to help me was walk into work say i can do this be all smiles and just tell urself that you can do it and nothing bad is gonna happen cuz i know whats up!!! Hey it helps
- Jan 30 by j_tay1981Yep, exposure is one of the best things for anxiety. So, again, I guess that it is all a matter of time. Maybe I should learn to be more patient :-)
- Jan 30 by abpeelerI have the same problem. I've been using this herbal supplement called Bach Rescue Remedy. It sounds kinda crazy how its administered..under the tongue...but it has helped me relax. You can buy it at local drug stores.