GA BON no longer accepting Excelsior education; Speak up Cont. Updates!! - Page 125Register Today!
- Jan 15, '11 by NurseCubanitaRN2bAt least Georgia will allow you to have 350 hours of clinical preceptorship to license you as a RN. California refuses to even consider that. I want to do the Excelsior program so badly because it's convenient, cheap, and despite what others who haven't done the program think, it is a very good school and I've worked with Excelsior graduates. Good Luck to everyone!
- Jan 15, '11 by NurseCubanitaRN2bQuote from HeartsOpenWideIt's the clinical portion that most states have an issue with. Sheesh, just set up a clinical portion with each state that way all students can attend Excelsior. Why does Excelsior have to have a problem with setting up a clinical portion? Most of us are willing to do one if one is set up.California does not accept from this school either. I think the school should be responsible and meet the requirement of all state BONs. All other schools do. I think its pretty messed up to bust your butt in school and be restricted to entire states to which you can not practice.
- May 12, '11 by Lauren GNQuote from RESIAK1I also am a GN from Excelsior needing a Preceptorship. I live in Covington, Georgia and MCCG in Macon is Closer than Memorial Univ Medical Center in Savannah. How do you sign up or get on a waiting list for the RN Preceptorship? Lauren GNAnyone out there who is currently or soon to do preceptorship for EC? I live in Georgia and I have 12 yrs as LPN but the BON only wants to accept a certain job where I worked less than a year. I am frustrated passed nclex months ago.
- May 12, '11 by akulahawkQuote from HeartsOpenWideCalifornia does not accept from this school either. I think the school should be responsible and meet the requirement of all state BONs. All other schools do. I think its pretty messed up to bust your butt in school and be restricted to entire states to which you can not practice.Quote from NurseCubanitaRN2bWhat ultimately killed Excelsior for California is that California's BON wants each program to offer concurrent didactic and clinical experiences... and if Excelsior was to do that, they'd probably be re-authorized as an RN program for this state. What would keep that from happening would be if they were to also require a local program liaison that visits the students during their clinical time. (That may also be the case now as well.)It's the clinical portion that most states have an issue with. Sheesh, just set up a clinical portion with each state that way all students can attend Excelsior. Why does Excelsior have to have a problem with setting up a clinical portion? Most of us are willing to do one if one is set up.
Bottom line is that California apparently doesn't want Excelsior to offer their program in the state and found a way to prevent that while simultaneously finding a means for traditional programs to continue operating. Of course, that also had the effect of preventing/killing all other similar programs...
- May 18, '11 by NurseMaryBQuote from GAGIRL1So do I understand this correctly? If I currently work in a hospital and I do, I can do my preceptorship where I work? It doesn't have to be one of their "set" hospitals? Also, do we still have to do the CPNE?Sorry; but threre's no other places but Macon and Savannah,Ga. I met 2 people that live in Atlanta and had to come to Macon. One finished about 3 months months before I started and the other person I met started and finished the same day as I did in Macon. We are waiting on our license. I took Ga boards and she took minnesota boards and getting endorsement to Ga.
If you currently work in a hospital, then you can precept there.
- Jun 29, '11 by BmelodiOK, so here's the deal. I completed Excelsior 7-2010. Passed Boards 4-2011. Licensed obtained 5-2011. If you have @ least 1 year of Hospital experience (recent) and pass boards, you will be granted a license. Simple as that. So, this means if you now work in a hospital and pass Boards you will be given a License # no problem. TRUST ME!
- Jun 29, '11 by BmelodiOH, and I forgot... There is a Hospital in Lithia Springs that does Preceptorships. Don't know the name but there is.