Setting up a biz web site...??
- 0Mar 24, '03 by hoolahanOK, just in case this is free advertising, let me say up front, if you have the info I am looking for, can you please pm me??
That said, I want to develop my own website for my biz, and purchase the domain name, which I won't even do a search on until I am ready. people out there snatch up domain names and then try to sell them for big bucks.
Anyway, I would really prefer to purchase this site and name from a nurse web-hosting biz. And I don't have a lot of $$ to invest in this, particularly since I will only be serving a small geographical area. I of course would want to have some advertisers, like amazon and maybe some other related companies.
So, anyone know where I can find this kind of info? I am sure it is buried in this forum, but I don't want to have to read thru every post to find it (I'm still on a dial up ya know )If you do, please pm me, or post it here if it is not your personal biz you are selling, but just info you are passing on.
PS, Lois Jean, I am going to make a page for your biz and link to mine!!
- 0Mar 24, '03 by efiebkeAs you probably know, I have a web site for my small nursing/healthcare oriented production company.
A few questions to ask yourself:
1) What is the goal of your web site? To provide information? To sell merchandise? Both?
2) Intended audience?
3) How multi-media intensive will your web site be? (Use of pictures, sounds, video-clips, etc)?
4) Plan on using any data collection web-based programs?
A few things to consider:
1) Expandability/upgradeability of web-hosting plan.
2) Size of storage space for your web site.
3) Amount of monthly bandwidth (amount of information going in/going out of web site) provided by web hosting plan.
4) Microsoft based verses Unix based verses other based web-site.
5) Support provided by web-hosting company.
There are TONS of web-hosting companies to choose from!!! It's mind-blowing to say the least!
I started out with one web-hosting company at a nice yearly rate. Unfortunately they raised their yearly rate considerably. So, I switched companies. . . very quickly, I might add. It's not uncommon to do this. . . it's a buyer's market considering the number of web-hosting companies that exist.
But buyer beware! Despite the number of web-hosting companies, there seems to be a small percentage of reputable ones.
Please email me, and I'll be more than happy to discuss this issue.
You might also want to ask Brian too! He is, after all, our resident computer-geek/nurse. Take a look at "Allnurses.com". It's a real success story!
Registering a domain name is simple. Go to:
Hope this helps! Good luck!
TedLast edit by efiebke on Mar 24, '03
- 0Mar 26, '03 by hoolahanCould this mean what I think it means Lois??? I believe Ted would be the man for the job, but you must allow him to do some music on the video too!!!
Thanks for the tips Ted.
I went w 1power. They sold the domain name and had a two year package. Once I set it up, I don't want to hassle w it again for a while! I started the main page, and just need to put a few finishing touches on it, then publish it.
- 0Mar 26, '03 by hoolahanI am having a problem publishing it right now, so I am going to wait for the domain name clearance. I don't want to say yet what the site is called, since I still need to register the biz name, it is notarized and whatnot, but I need to register, and I have been soooo busy, no chance to run downtown and do it. As soon as it is available for public viewing, I will let you know.
- 0Mar 26, '03 by efiebkeLinda:
Just curious. What web creating software are you using? (Microsoft Webpage, Dreamweaver, Adobe Golive, etc.)
I use Macromedia's Dreamweaver MX suite. Great program for internet-dumb people like me!
Can't wait to see your site. Let me know when it's up and running. I'll add a link to your site from my web page!
- 0Mar 26, '03 by NRSKarenRN AdminThinking of setting up a web site similar to hoolahan's VN site. Webist will contain tons of links and resources not music for now. Not setting up a business now--considering down the road.
What type of software for webpage should I buy. Friend says she's using Front Page for boyscout website http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bsatroop277
Need your advice Ted and Hoolahan.
KarenLast edit by NRSKarenRN on Mar 26, '03
- 0Mar 26, '03 by frannybeeI learned HTML and did it the long way. Couldn't get the layout I wanted with a table so tried frames which of course wouldn't work, so have given up for the minute and have used my blog as a front page until I work out what I want from my bit of the net.
I quite like Arachnophilia, and it's free - when I get a bit of time I'll be having a play with it.
When everyone's sorted, let me know your addies and I'll link to you all.