Work is Hazardous to My Health - Page 2Register Today!
- Mar 17 by Glycerine82You could have a career in writing! Great job, and I am glad you are OK. Many years ago we found out a co-worker of ours had bacterial meningitis. I didn't know how serious it was that we had all been exposed to her day in and out. Cipro was my friend.
It was super clear to me that OP was joking about blaming the medic. Really people, lighten up!!
- Mar 18 by DrJamesSmeltzerMFMFantastic case to demonstrate a whole bunch of stuff:
LOC - even for alcoholics - can NOT be taken for granted. Assumptions were made that delayed Rx.
Rash and CNS change is meningococcal meningitis until proven otherwise. Check for stiff neck ASAP.
Great service recovery: This guy is NOT on the curve for the presumptive diagnosis -> Lets W/U NOW. Probably saved his life, as hours count with this diagnosis and severity.
Inadvertent exposures to meningococcus and other agents: Get expert prevention advice and check CDC. Get prophylaxis. If as an employee, be sure to immediately notify supervisor and follow occupational exposure institutional guidelines...
Finally - coping with your own psychic trauma. Sharing this is helpful for recovery. If problems with sleep, relationships, work then you may need more help, so get it.
This could be a case in nursing textbook! Way to go for sharing.
James Smeltzer, MD
- Mar 18 by usalsfyreQuote from MunkiRNOr you were never truly infected. The hyperbole here is almost intolerable.As the adrenaline starts to dissipate and my mind clears, it hits me, I ALMOST DIED TODAY! I almost died, and a little pill saved my life.
Quote from MunkiRNAs part of a risk management team, this attitude is what drives me up the wall. YOU allowed yourself to be distracted. YOU got in a hurry and didn't take the extra couple of seconds to protect yourself. Making excuses like this will lead you down the road to another incident. Take responsibility for your own safety. It's no one else's fault and your responsibility to use the tools provided.Now, we all agree this is really the medic students fault, because obviously they distracted me.