Whats your biggest pet peeve working in the ED? - page 12
by Whts_Ur_Emergency? 63,919 Views | 264 Comments
Id have to say my biggest pet peeve is when someone hands you a medicaid card as they pull it from their Louis Vuitton handbag with bling on their hands after having rolled up to the ER in their Mercedes Benz! After that I'd say... Read More
- 0Dec 30, '12 by psu_213Quote from smoupI run in to pts. that know that "chest pain" are the magic words that get you immediately transported to a tx area. So they come in the N/V/abd pain. They see how many people are in the waiting room. They wait 30 minutes to get to triage. Then at the end of the triage they throw it that "oh, yeah, I have this feeling like an elephant is sitting on my chest."People who exaggerate being sick in order to get to the back sooner. Screaming about how you can't breathe when your sats are 100% is not getting you to the back any sooner.
- 2Dec 30, '12 by smoupQuote from psu_213Yeah, we get that sometimes, though not as often as you'd think.I run in to pts. that know that "chest pain" are the magic words that get you immediately transported to a tx area. So they come in the N/V/abd pain. They see how many people are in the waiting room. They wait 30 minutes to get to triage. Then at the end of the triage they throw it that "oh, yeah, I have this feeling like an elephant is sitting on my chest."
Narc seekers as well. Oh, you're allergic to all pain medication, EXCEPT narcs? Really? And then as soon as they find out they aren't getting any, leave.
Non-custodial parents who bring in their kids but don't know anything about them, whether their shots are up to date, their doctor, sometimes even the kid's address. Seriously??
- 0Dec 30, '12 by psu_213Quote from smoupTell me about it. I do realize that there are some people who are allergic to things other than narcs. However, the people who can "just" have dilaudid is way out of proportion.Narc seekers as well. Oh, you're allergic to all pain medication, EXCEPT narcs? Really? And then as soon as they find out they aren't getting any, leave.
- 1Dec 30, '12 by JBudd GuideCurrently? The shortage of Droperidol!!
Or the "newer" docs who ignore all of us who explain this particular person is NOT to be getting any narcs from us: per their PCP and the care conferences that were held about them. There is a plan in place, stick to it!
The patients who come in and before they get registered want to know which doc is on duty.
- 2Dec 30, '12 by Berkley, RN BSNWhen I floated to our ED, we had a young girl come in with her mother for a upt. Well, right after that, we had a MI come in. We all were in the room with the patient, and as I was going back the mom was at the desk demanding we see her daughter. I told her it would be a bit as we have a patient in room 2 that needs to be seen right now. Then, the girl comes over to the room, pushes through the flight crew as they are walking up demanding she is seen and how she's waited forever on us, and how horrible we all are and cursing like crazy. Luckily the ED manager was there and he took care of it. She finally left but not without griping on her way out the door. I can't make this stuff up.
- 2Dec 31, '12 by flyingchangeMy current peeve: "how long is this all going to take?" When nana's ABG shows she's severely hypoxic, or grampa's BSL is >30 (sorry that's Canadian, and crazy high), or little buddy is limp and breathing over 65/min.
I DON'T KNOW, ask your crystal ball! Be thankful he/she will live to eat another Christmas dinner! Aaahhhhh!
Okay, I feel better now.
- 1Dec 31, '12 by shoegalRNHad a pt last night:
Pt: My head hurt, I have blurred vision and my chest hurt. It's been hurting for 2 days now
Me: Ok, we will put you on the cardiac monitor, start an IV and draw some blood for labs.
Pt: How long is this gonna take? I need to be gone by 0530 because I don't want to miss my spot at the shelter.
Me: So....which one is more important, your health or your spot to lay your head? And why did you not come 2 days ago?
Pt: Because I thought it would get better. So, if y'all are not done by 0530, I'm leaving AMA, ok?
Me: Ok, I'll have the AMA papers ready.
Pt did leave exactly at 0530 like he said, but the doc had him discharged in time because he told the doctor the same exact thing. I'm wondering why even bother?