Frustrated with pts!Register Today!
- by SionainnRN Jan 24So lately it seems like I've had a lot of pts getting overly annoyed with wait times. Had a little kid brought in with fever, so we did X-rays, meds, straight cath, and all we were waiting on was the UA results and the parents were out every 5 mins harassing myself and the doc! Yes I know the baby is tired and you have to work in the am but if you were so worried you brought your kid to the ER in the middle of the night, wait for the damn results!!
And these aren't even the long wait times! This was just two hours for everything. We've even had parents leave AMA then have to call them back cause their kid is really sick and needs abx.
Sorry rant over, just had to get that off my chest!
- Jan 25 by ncaru01Well some people just aren't reasonable. I try to justify things as a lot of the patients in the ER are there because they are not good decision makers. Which is why I am looking to make my exit from the ER.
- Jan 25 by SionainnRNQuote from hiddencatRNI try to tell them things only happen quickly when you're dying and you don't want to be that pt. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Just annoying cause if you're sick enough to go to the ER in the middle of the night, you think it would be important enough to wait for the results.I've had people huff and puff and say "aren't things supposed to go fast in the ER?" Sometimes I'll point out that if they'd done the labs outpatient it would take a day or more for results, sometimes it doesn't seem worth it.
- Jan 25 by mcdonaldRNI deal with the same. Work at a level 1 trauma center and ppl come in with the usual wanting pain meds or cold symptoms then are at the nurses station complaining every 5 min that they are not being seen quick enough. Actually told a pt a few days ago that her doctor was doing CPR and would be with her as soon as he could and her reply was "how long does it take to do CPR? Only takes one person!" Lol
- Jan 25 by hherrn"Thank god you you aren't my priority."
Some people even understand this one.
- Jan 25 by Sassy5d"Dogs get treated better"
Heard that one time from a pt who came in with vomiting and abdominal pain and was NPO until her results came back. She was mad because we wouldn't let her eat.