What meds are typically administered in an outpatient dialysis clinic.Register Today!
- by vegasmomma Mar 27I'm considering applying for Davita or other clinic like this but I don't know much about what a dialysis nurse actually does. The techs are the ones who actually hook up patients and run machines right? Can anyone give me ideas on what a nurse might do and give in various scenarios? What do physicians usually order? Etc.
- Mar 27 by presidiornHi vegasmomma,
I'm a dialysis nurse and as a nurse you have to supervise the techs. You have to pass meds. You have to do a lot of critical thinking and prioritize as it is a busy world in dialysis. You also need to know how to connect the pts. to the dialysis machines. You will learn a lot when they train you.
- Mar 28 by vegasmommaOk thanks for replying. I have heard the training is good. But I'm curious what meds are usually passed during dialysis? It seems like meds would be held until after so they aren't filtered out or effect blood pressure. Pain meds? Ativan?
- Mar 28 by vegasmommaThank you!
- Mar 30 by bahamagirlrnAlso Venofer or Ferrlicit is given and these are iron compounds given via the venous machine line.
- Mar 31 by calliouI am just starting as a dialysis nurse, and let me tell you.... thank goodness for the training! And my preceptors! I don't know what I would do wothout them... I have learned how to string a machine, use CVC caths, fistulas and grafts.... dialysis is an amazing specialty and I am enjoying every second of it... although I have a feeling I will continue to learn for years to come. Best of luck to you and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!