BKAT-Critical CareRegister Today!
- by cgolden19 Jan 9, '12Does anyone have any suggestions on preparing for the BKAT? I know it is just an assessment tool but I would like to do well. I see on their website that you can actually order a copy of the exam but I don't have time to do that so any suggestions would be much appreciated!! I have not been able to find any study guide and very little information about how/what to study!!
I am a brand new nurse so I have taken a critical care class but only spent three months in the ICU so my practical application is still lacking.
Thanks so much for any suggestions!!!
- 10,809 Views
- Jan 10, '12 by BiffbradfordNever heard of it, but here's an old thread:
- Jan 10, '12 by **LaurelRNi took it, no preparation- it was cake. it's a few med compatibilities, acls, rhythms, prioritization, lines, hemodynamics...stuff like that....
- Jul 23, '12 by grogan.laceyIt's not a hard test if you are competent and know what you are doing. It basically tests your ability to critically think. Go over rhythms and interventions as these are hit hard. Here is the website for the BKAT where you can find more information on the test and what to review. Just remember to breathe- it's not a hard test!
- Jul 21 by crnacrn07Quote from grogan.laceyI have over 10 years of ER nursing under my belt and I took a BKAT for a per diem position. I had no prep either but was told I failed it. I have to disagree with your comment that it was an easy test, it was not. Took over an hr to complete. There is a website that you can order a copy of the test you are taking for about $15 but it takes about 4 weeks to get it.It's not a hard test if you are competent and know what you are doing. It basically tests your ability to critically think. Go over rhythms and interventions as these are hit hard. Here is the website for the BKAT where you can find more information on the test and what to review. Just remember to breathe- it's not a hard test!
HomeLast edit by crnacrn07 on Jul 21 : Reason: adding more info
- Aug 25 by natashadoveI will be taking the BKAT very soon. I found out late so I did not have time to request it from the official site. I am using a critical care test-prep book and I hope to do well on the test.....
I'll post when I find out!
- Aug 28 by Do-overI did not prep for it, because I didn't have time (wouldn't have anyhow). It is used, where I am, as an assessment tool - it is taken before and after a CC course.
I did OK on it. Some of the stuff I had no clue being new to ICU.
- Sep 7 by jacobymeI'm a new grad. I took it and got a 63. They never went over anything with us or what we got wrong or what we need to work on. Just told us our scores.