- 0Feb 12 by nursecouncilHello,
Has anyone ever taken their initial ACLS class (not recertification) that is offered through the American Heart Association online? I am curious because I am a new grad and I start working in CCU next week. My place of employment does not offer ACLS until June or something crazy like that....I am going to need this way before June. If anyone has taken ACLS online, please share your experience. Also, for anyone who doesn't know, you take the course and test on - line and then do your mega code check off with an instructor (My place of employment is where I would do my mega code). Some feedback on this would be helpful. Thanks!
- 797 Visits
- 1Feb 13 by Do-overMy suggestion is to wait until June, or whenever you can take it in person at work. I think you will have enough to learn and worry about as a new grad in ICU without trying to learn ACLS on your own.
Spend the time between now and then to learn the rhythms.
You will not be expected to run any codes before summer time . At least I hope not!
- 1Feb 13 by FlyingScotI have taken the computer based ACLS course (which is really expensive BTW) and it is definitely NOT the way a new grad should go about it. There is no opportunity for real-time question and answers, hands-on practice or anything you will need to really do well in the course or have a thorough understanding of both the didactic as well as the clinical skills. I took it after many years of being certified and it was extremely challenging even though in two of my jobs I actually RAN codes(as in no doctor present). Do yourself a favor and wait until June. I highly doubt there will be a critical need for you to be certified before then after all it's only a few months and you have more pressing educational needs to worry about right now.
- 1Feb 13 by JeanOfAllTraitsI was in the ICU 4 months before I took acls and it was still a lot to learn then. Take it in the summer when your employer will pay for it. Congratulations on getting one of the highly coveted new grad critical care jobs!Last edit by JeanOfAllTraits on Feb 13 : Reason: typo
- 1Feb 13 by akulahawkRNI've taken ACLS a few times and I can definitely say that if it's your first time taking it, online isn't the best option. You'd better served taking that basic dysrhythmias course. Then as you learn the rhythms, start looking up what you might do about them. You might not necessarily have to delve all that deeply into it, but at least get familiar with what needs to be done. Then take the ACLS course that your employer will pay for.