Are your nosey coworkers worse than the inmates?Register Today!
- by Aviationurse Apr 29Started in corrections and finding that the coworkers hate "ORIENTING" a new hire nurse...all they want to be is to be nosey about my personal business.....The staff sits in go online to surf..gossip....all day till the shift is over and dont talk to me...We are told on our HR ORIENTATION that the RN AND LPN make an average 250,000$ /YEAR including overtime...for LPN 5 grand every two weeks on OT.......My nurse educator said that the "IT dont train new hire nurses on computer bec it is not their job...and they are jealous with the RNs"....the nurses only tell me about their " UPCOMING RETIREMENT" and that they will soon get " 80% when they retire....free health insurance for life to them and their family and blah blah blah"...I find the job and inmates so nice and polite...The nurses just talk on" their dialect from their country " and dont speak to the new nurses all day...aint that something? God Help me
- Apr 30 by Erikadawn RNDo not get too comfortable with the inmates as a new corrections nurse, they will get you caught up. Then start asking for favors, I have worked in corrections for 5 years. I have seen a lot of nurses come and go. Don't always tell them the correct way to do something, giving insulin to 1 patient versus 70, things will be done differently. It's just the way jail is, find a way that works for you.
- Apr 30 by AviationurseQuote from Erikadawn RNIve seen one nurse during my second week of orientation going from one unit to another to check and buddy buddy with the inmates..laughing ...flirting with them.....it is so sickening...The pm nurses are so ickey...dont want to talk all night to new orientee like me and I have told them that I AM NOT A SLUG...HERE TO WORK HARD...Do not get too comfortable with the inmates as a new corrections nurse, they will get you caught up. Then start asking for favors, I have worked in corrections for 5 years. I have seen a lot of nurses come and go. Don't always tell them the correct way to do something, giving insulin to 1 patient versus 70, things will be done differently. It's just the way jail is, find a way that works for you.
Thanks for your advice
- May 27 by NJprisonrnYes, I'd say many of the employees do not treat new hires well but some are great. I saw a lot of lazinness and some subpar nursing. The inmates were mostly polite but you really have to watch out and not be too friendly. The money was good but not amazing. So many rules and excess paperwork that are not the norm on the outside. I would go back as an NP nut not an RN.
- Jun 7 by DavidDudleyThe reason why nurses in the prison gossip and backbite is because of all the idle time they have. In the ER, nurses don't do what you describe your nurses doing because we are always too busy and don't have time to. I have about 4-5 years of correctional nursing experience and all I can say is that prison nurses are very evil. That's not to say that nurses in hospitals don't have their issues as well, just nowhere near as bad as corrections
- Jun 22 by snookgirlsI wish I had time for a break. If people have time for gossip and backstabbing then they really are not doing their job. I am usually seeing patients, charting and then I am working on policies that are updated. Sigh, and people can be evil anywhere.