CU Denver BSN EssayRegister Today!
This is a discussion on CU Denver BSN Essay in Colorado State Nursing Programs, part of Colorado Nursing ... Hi! I am currrently applying to CU Denver for the Traditional BSN 2012 start date. I have been...by lindsaylat May 18, '11Hi! I am currrently applying to CU Denver for the Traditional BSN 2012 start date. I have been accepted to 2 out-of-state schools but REALLY need to go in-state for personal reasons and I am currently on the wait-list for Regis Fall 2011. As a back-up in case I don't get into Regis, I am applying to CU Denver. I was wondering if anyone could help me with the essay!? I have read that CU weighs the essay very heavily along with your grades, and while I feel very strong with grades, I really need to nail the essay! One of the sections is referring to the nurse role today and I am just wondering if they want specific duties of a nurse or if they are looking more for the qualities and characteristics of nurses today? So, if anyone has been through their application process or is affiliated with the program, I would GREATLY appreciate your input! Thank you very much!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=567533©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 4,498 Views
- May 19, '11 by lindsaylatPlease!!! Any and all help is welcome!
- May 23, '11 by Ms.Dre22Hi Linsaylat,
I too am applying for CU's 2012 start date. I am struggling with the essay also, my problem is the length. I, for the life of me can not figure out how to condense my essay into the one page that they are asking. My answer to the first question alone was one full paged single spaced Anyway, what I did in answering question #2 concerning nurses roles is include both some of the specific duties that a nurse performs as well as some important characteristics that they display as well. I think doing it in this way will show the reader that we have a good idea if not the full grasp of what a nurse really is-If that makes any sense. I am sorry I could not give you advise as if I was a student at CU-Denver and I will try to see if there are any threads that may further help you.
I wish you the best!
- May 24, '11 by marianbellsTry changing the margins. I'm working on the essays right now too. What a pain! How can I describe myself, answer the questions, grab their attention all in one page? Arg! Good luck (though you are my competition!).
- May 24, '11 by Ms.Dre22Hey there competition! lol Thank you for your suggestion on the margins, it helped! At first I was a bit hesistant to change them, but no where on the website did they indicate a margin range right?! And man tell me about it, they ask questions that I feel need a in depth answer not a quick paragraph. I am trying to make every word count and have meaning, but right now after I edited my original essay by taking out certain details, I feel that I am just strictly getting to the point for a one page limit sake-it does not represent who I am-not yet at least!
Thanks again & I hope you do well!Last edit by Ms.Dre22 on May 24, '11 : Reason: Needed to add more.
- May 24, '11 by SummitRNI spent a few hours writing and then days hours resizing margins, revising, editing, cutting, wordsmithing, etc. Let me save you a little time. Unless they've completely changed it, even though you can upload your essay in a document, you don't get to pick the font size or margins. You can paste, or you can upload, but the app will pull the text out of the .docx and insert it in the app in their own style. You have to choose print preview, or print out app for review, or whatever, in order to see how much space you really have taken up. The good news is you probably have 30-50% more space than you thought.
PS I'm not your competition.
- May 24, '11 by souraprildon't list all the experience you have, just the ones you had for at least a year, related to nursing. They want to see your long term goal mentioned somewhere too, i.e. NP, work/volunteer abroad, etc. Good references help too. GL!
- May 24, '11 by Lindsey14I was just accepted into the program for this summer. So, in my essay I wrote a lot about nursing characteristics. Such as a mentor, friend, etc. I didn't really say like a nurse does this and this. Good luck!
- May 24, '11 by lindsaylatThank you for your response! I really appreciate hearing that I am not the only one struggling with the questions and size limitations! Good luck with the applicationa dn who knows, maybe we'll be classmates!
- May 24, '11 by lindsaylatCongratulations on your acceptance! Thank you for the advice as well! I am hoping that since Summer applicants are finding out now about their acceptance that some Regis seats will open up! I know if I had the option, I would pick CU over Regis mainly for financial reasons. Good luck with your program and congrats again!