Need help with University of Northern Colorado (UNC) BSN program
- 0Apr 18, '12 by Maiko99Hi All,
I applied and got accepted at UNC BSN program. I am worried and nervous about my first semester which will start in May 2012. I do not know what to expect when I start the nursing program.
How was your experience in the nursing program so far, especially those who are registered at UNC? Any tips/advice about things to do, how should I prepare. I would greatly appreciate any inputs you can share. Thank you very much in advance.
- 0Apr 19, '12 by Sand_Dollar, BSNI am finishing my 3rd semester (Peds & OB) at UNC (traditional BSN) and started May of last year. Summer semester is going to be chaotic, I was overwhelmed for the first month or so. You have to find your balance and best ways to study. It wasn't so much organizing since I'm really good at that, but rather realizing how much time everything takes and accounting for it.
I can't think of anything specifically to do to prepare. My most useful tip is to begin studying for the NCLEX by using Saunders CD. I have found it very useful, especially in Alterations in Adult Health (aka Med-surg), it's an additional way to review each unit. I am comfortable with this style of question now and can work my way through this type of problem, even if I don't know the answer straight away.
Oh! One thing, don't freak out about the 'you have to get this or you fail' talk. For example, you have to get 100% on med calculations to pass. They give you three tries to take it and they have never had anyone fail because of it. We were all FREAKING out during assessment when they said you have to remember the key points or you won't pass. If you forget something, then you just redo it later. No worries. We are now like, 'whatever' when we take the skills checks. Don't sweat it.
If you have any specific Q's feel free to PM me (once you get 15 posts). I love UNC and the profs are great, I couldn't be happier with my decision to go there.
- 0May 19, '12 by Sand_Dollar, BSNI can answer some for you alyss2212, the only thing you need to get in is have all the pre-reqs (or be taking them in the Spring of next year) and have a competitive GPA. The lowest GPA for my class was a 3.67 if I remember right. I heard it was slightly less this last cohort. We also have a few different pre-reqs than the other schools. You have to be a CNA before you apply, which didn't make sense until I got into the program. They don't teach ANY of the basics when you start, you go right into nursing skills. You also need patho, pharm and a medical nutrition class NOT the nutrition class everyone else accepts. Most people take those three in the spring because they are a requirement but the grades aren't calculated into your entrance GPA if you are currently in the class. UNC also requires Biochem but doesn't currently require Microbiology.Last edit by Sand_Dollar on May 23, '12
- 0May 23, '12 by alyss2212Thanks for the helpful information Sand Dollar. After looking at the prereqs for the accelerated program, it looks like i'll still need to take pharmacology, biochemistry, and the more indepth medical nutrition class. Since I am from Ohio, I am trying to take these three classes locally. Do you suggest taking medical nutrition online through UNC. Also I'm not sure where I should take Biochemistry or if I should talk to someone in the nursing department to find a Biochem class near me that will transfer to UNC. Also, where are some good neighborhoods to live in Greeley?
- 0May 23, '12 by Sand_Dollar, BSNI'm glad to help however I can Alyssa. I would only suggest taking the nutrition class online if you can't find a local one that transfers. I took it in person and the class was horrible, I heard it was even worse online... just one of those rough classes I guess, I don't know of anyplace else to take it though. I took Biochem through ccconline.org (Chem 102), however it had to be taken after Chem 101. Maybe you can find one of these locally that transfers too.
I would call Liz the nursing school advisor, she gave me a list of places I could take pharm online but I can't remember them any more, sorry. I also don't live in Greeley, I commute from 40 minutes south, so I won't be much help in where to live.
If you can think of anything else, just ask.
~SDLast edit by Sand_Dollar on May 23, '12 : Reason: syntax