Need help with University of Colorado Denver nursing essay
- 1Aug 18, '11 by jojo89Hi everyone!
I am applying to UCDenver traditional bsn program and am stuck on my essay questions
I would really appreciate if anyone who has been accepted to the bsn program could help me with ideas.
I especially need help with the critical thinking question which is..One of the most important skills in the practice of nursing and in the role of a nursing leader is critical thinking. Describe a specific scenario in which you had to bring your critical thinking skills to bear upon a problem or issue and how it was addressed? What was your role in its resolution?
- 0Aug 20, '11 by LyndxHi JoJo...I'm currently a student in the BSN program and I thought I might be able to help. I can't tell you exactly what they are looking for, but I can tell you how I approached the essay. I was accepted with a pretty low GPA compared to the average so I think my essay must have been decent at least!
I started out by googling critical thinking and getting a good idea of what it exactly was. Then I chose a scenario from a previous mental health employment and tried to focus on the different factors of scenario that could have led to good or bad outcomes (who else was involved as far as clients/staff, environment, safety), then using those factors I explained my thought process as to how I came to a resolution. Along the way, I also tried to add in how I directed co-workers to handle the situation (leadership), and came up with a resolution that was taylored specifically to the one client having trouble, while keeping other clients safe.
Also, CU Denver is very much a research-driven environment. I think it would be beneficial to talk about any research you've done in the past somewhere in your essay (I think it used to be the 2nd question, but I'm not sure if it still you the opportunity to talk about previous experience)
Good Luck!! I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions
- 0Aug 21, '11 by LyndxI like it a lot. CU Denver was the only place I applied and I got in first time around with a previous degree in psychology. I think its a quality program with a lot of resources and connections that other Denver schools don't have. The professors are some of the best I've ever had, and its half the cost of competitors like Regis or DSN. Do you know hwat kind of nursing you want to do?
- 0Sep 2, '11 by LyndxI can't answer that, but I have not met anyone that came in with less than a 3.0. When I said low I meant in comparison to the average GPA for students accepted. With the number of applications they receive, I would guess that they don't flex on that, but I don't know for sure.
- 0Sep 2, '11 by LyndxQuote from jojo89I'm hoping to get into peds, but I haven't actually been through the peds course/clinical yet, so things could still change. I'm about half way through the program now...it goes by so fast!!!Sry Lyndx!
I didnt see that you replied? I want to go into Nurse anesthesia! what about you? Are you graduating soon?