Legalization of recreational marijuanaRegister Today!
- by francoml Nov 7, '12As most of you all know, Colorado just approved recreational marijuana use. Does this mean that someone could test positive for THC and not face any repercussions?? I know you could not be intoxicated at work but if it is legal then how could it be held against you???
- Nov 7, '12 by Sweet_Wild_RoseIt is still federally illegal, and the BON can still make rules. Just like showing up at work drunk isn't technically illegal, the BON can still sanction one's license. I would imagine showing up at work stoned would be the same. Seeing as hospitals can test for nicotine and refuse to hire, the same can apply to marijuana.
- Nov 7, '12 by kloneEven though it's legal, individual employers can still have restrictions regarding its use (just like some employers have restrictions regarding other legal substances, such as tobacco). They can do random drug testing, and if you test positive for THC, you can be fired.
Personally, I'm delighted that 64 passed, but I personally will not be partaking (well, I might consider it if I had a 3-week vacation from work), because it's not worth my license or my job. My husband and I are toying with the idea of growing a plant in our home, though, just because we can. My husband said we will name it Hector. I'm not sure why.
- Nov 7, '12 by kloneQuote from lovinlife11But if it was smoked during off hours, and they're not high while working, why would you care? It's like alcohol. People can drink, and even get drunk, during their personal time, and come to work a day or two days later, and not be at all impaired.Omg, is this for real? If it is, I pray you never take care of myself or any family or friends. You are a nurse and held to higher standards, that doesn't mean being high on ur days off. Ugh!!
- Nov 7, '12 by francomllovinlife.... So i guess you have never had a glass of wine on your day off..
Alcohol (ETOH) is a drug the same way the marijuana (THC) is. Alcohol binds acetylcholine, serotonin, and GABA receptors to produce euphoria and sedation. THC binds cannaboid receptors to produce euphoria and sedation.Last edit by dianah on Nov 7, '12 : Reason: Terms of Service
- Nov 7, '12 by tntrnWashington state just passed a similar law as well. I have been having a FB discussion with friends about it. We decided we might start growing! haha Well, why not?
My question about using and working and random drug testing is the same as here. But I am retired, so....
- Nov 8, '12 by Esme12JUst like facilities that don't hire those who smoke tobacco or have pain RX for pain. The facilities decide what they will accept in their employees and what they won't.
- Nov 8, '12 by francomlI understand that they can choose not to hire you or even fire you.... My main question is, can you loose your license for smoking pot ON YOUR TIME OFF.