New national nurses union forms
- 19Dec 7, '09 by herring_RN GuideA new national union of up to 154,000 registered nurses was created in Phoenix today, replacing one of the most aggressive nurse unions in the industry and combining its membership with two other nurse-only labor groups to form National Nurses United. ...
...The NNU will be governed by three co-presidents drawn from the three founding organizations. The Massachusetts group brings 23,000 members, the UAN brings up to 45,000 and the CNA/NNOC includes 86,000 nurses. Higgins said the three-member presidency was formed as "an equal partnership." ...
- 7Dec 7, '09 by herring_RN GuideNurses unions merge, back healthcare overhaul
PHOENIX (Reuters) - Three nurses unions merged on Monday to form the largest-ever labor organization for U.S. medical professionals, which is expected to wield greater clout in collective bargaining and the national healthcare debate....
...Deborah Burger, president elect of the NNU and head of its largest constituent union, the California Nurses Association, called the merger a big step.
"It's a huge day ... not only for the nursing profession, but also for our patients," she said. "We will be able to go to the halls of Congress and advocate for stronger patient protection, for better healthcare."...
- 18Dec 7, '09 by Chico David RNQuote from RNnbakesHealth care reform - REAL reform that puts patients and caregivers, not corporate profit, at the center of the system - is what we are all about. This is going to bring a very different world.I hope the new union does more of addressing healthcare reform and less of collecting member dues.
- 18Dec 7, '09 by nicurn001Quote from RNnbakesIn order to do the former it has to do the latter .I hope the new union does more of addressing healthcare reform and less of collecting member dues.
As in all things you don't get something for nothing .
Me I view my dues as an investment , that has already paid me back 10x my investment .Others in the same locale may get the same rates , because employers match pay rates , but if you did not have those union rates to match everybodies income would be less . The advantage for the union nurse is in the stability they can offer nurses , knowing that there workplace enviroment will not change from one day to the next and that the next day they go to work they will not be called to the office , then escorted off the facility , minus job .
- 2Dec 7, '09 by RNnbakesQuote from Chico David RNThanks for clarifying. I want to see REAL reform too.Health care reform - REAL reform that puts patients and caregivers, not corporate profit, at the center of the system - is what we are all about. This is going to bring a very different world.
- 3Dec 8, '09 by K.P.A.Quote from Chico David RNDo you want this different world? When there are no more rich or corporations left to squeeze and there is only one employer and one union, who do you think gets squeezed?Health care reform - REAL reform that puts patients and caregivers, not corporate profit, at the center of the system - is what we are all about. This is going to bring a very different world.