what to expect for my skills exam?Register Today!
- by Kdrenee May 6, '12i live in the houston area. My state test is coming up and i was wondering what to expect for the skills part? Has anyone recently taken it? I'm really confident in most of my skills,but i really have no idea what to expect. Tell me about your experience! thanks!
- May 6, '12 by AlexandraSLooks like Texas uses the NAACP/Pearson Vue test. They give 5 skills chosen at random from a list available on their website. They also have the critical steps for each skill listed on their website. One important thing...you can self-correct, so if you catch yourself making a mistake or realize you skipped something...say so and usually you can go back and do it right. I have website with all the links, blog articles on the test in my profile...good luck!
- May 6, '12 by nursetabithaI just took mine 3 weeks ago. The examiner gives you 5 skills. The first one will always be hand washing and one will be a vital sign/measurement. Then you perform them in the order that they're listed. If you miss a step, you can correct it at any point during the skill and go back and perform it after saying"correction, I should have done "such and such" after I ---" You don't have to memorize the skills she gives you because you can check the list anytime.
They time you, but I didn't go really fast and I still only used half the time allotted. No one ran out of time that day so don't be stressed about the time, just work slowly and efficiently.
Make sure you know what the bold steps are in the skills because if you miss a bold step, you will fail.
I was so nervous that my hands were shaking the whole time, but it really wasn't that bad. Just try to relax and not get too worked up about it. And visualize yourself passing with ease.
- May 6, '12 by BrannrayI'm taking mine on the 8th.... I'm a bit nervous about it. I know all the skills, but I'm so afraid that I'm going to get up there and go blank!!! =( Hopefully we'll all pass it though! What sucks the most is, here in Ky at least idk about everywhere else, I won't know until up to 30 days after I take it!!! =( Good luck to everyone who is about to take it too!!
- May 6, '12 by KdreneeI'm sure you will do great! That does suck that you have to wait 30 days to know. We will know right after we finish. If we pass we go on to the written exam.. If not we have to reschedule our skills exam and try again.
- May 7, '12 by JessicainsantafeHere in New Mexico they use the Prometric test. I haven't gotten my test date yet but I know how you feel about being nervous. Alot of what is done in clinicals is really not completely covered by the text and class, but you can use the 4YourCNA.com on Youtube to refresh your memory for the test...I try to look at Patty, the CNA on that site, at least every other day to try and remember everything.
Just be calm and remember to not eat a large meal before you take that test, too. A few nursing students here at my school said they had the big breakfast before the test and didn't feel so good when it came time to do the skills. You can always have a meal afterwards.
I am sure you will do just fine on your test, Kdrenee.....all of us here at allnurses are pulling for you! You go!!!
- May 7, '12 by KdreneeThank you for the encouragement! I'm so excited to start working! I actually applied at 3 places today that have a great relationship with my school and my teacher! So hopefully one of those places will work out for me!