First day as PCT...need to vent :( - page 2
So it was my first day as a PCT at the big local hospital..this is my first job after getting my CNA certificate. I just felt so overwhelmed today.. Like with all the medical abbreviations I felt so... Read More
0Aug 12, '12 by ElsaKayI get a lot of anxiety at work, feeling like I have to do everything for everyone at once. I often get overwhelmed, and have to use a few strategies to cope.
1) You can only do what you can do. You are one person, you can only answer one call light at at time, clean up one person at a time.
2) Don't hurry. It will feel like you have to, as you help one person and two other call lights are going off. Oh well. Do your best with that person, and then move on to the next person. There's nothing more you can do.
3) When nurses/family bark at you and try to pull you five different ways, tell them when you will be able to help them. Saying things to a demanding nurse like, "Right now I am helping Mrs. Anderson with a bath, then I need to order a meal for Mr. Smith, and then I can help you with XX," goes a long way to setting boundaries while still being a helpful aide.
4) Remember that you are at a 24 hour care facility. I get overwhelmed towards the end of shift because I want to clean everyone up one last time, but by the time I get to the last person, the first person is dirty again, or I don't even make it to my last person. It's 24 hour care, the work never ends. Don't expect to finish your shift with perfection. There's always more to do.
5) Ask questions of friendly nurses and aides instead of assuming.
- Click Here To Get More Topics Like This! Get the hottest topics and toons in your inbox.
2Aug 14, '12 by Rachelj1222Today was my second day at work, and i took all of your guys advice, and I felt a lot less overwhelmed and was actually enjoying myself!
Thanks again for the support everybody!