I do a variety of things.... My hospital didn't have a CNS before me so they let me do whatever would give the nurses and patients in Medicine and Surgery the best benefit. I LOVE my job.
1.I have a heart for new grads so I coach with new grads or nurses new to the hospital if they are not performing well.
2. I lecture at various events and the School of Nursing etc.
3. Patient management go to codes and RRT calls to help support staff.
4. Mentor other nurses to go back to school or too evaluate their career goals.
5. Performance Improvement-how to reduce falls, pressure ulcers, mislabeled specis, etc.
6. Clinical Transformation/Cost savings projects
7. I am involved in a research study.
8. Some admin meetings
My job is different every few weeks somethings fall off, some things come up. I always can stay busy. I think CNSs will start to catch on again because hospitals are doing so much to save money through the CNS as opposed to generating new charges (NPs) there is also not many of us floating around