Staffing of ECMO patientsRegister Today!
- by jrsquire1 Oct 4I'm curious what your unit's staffing policy regarding patients on ECMO is; do you automatically single or staff it in a 1 (nurse):2 (patients) assignment based on acuity?
- 1,107 Views
- Oct 5 by Esme12ECMO...1:1 with a perfusionist or 2:1 without a perfusionist.
- Oct 5 by PMFB-RNWe staff them 2 RNs :1 ECMO patient, no prefusionist.
- Oct 15 by LiFeisPeAcHyOur ECMO patients are always 1:1 or 2:1 is they are really unstable. There is always an in house perfusionist.
- Oct 16 by thatoneguyRN1:1 RN with a perfusionist, though the perfusionist may watch multiple ecmo patients.
- Oct 16 by umcRNAlways 1:1 along with a ECMO tech (who is a specially trained RN or RT).
A few months ago we ran into some serious staffing issues when our 24 bed unit had 6 ecmo patients and an additional 2 CRRT patients (in my hospital CRRT is 1:1 with an additional pump nurse). That was 8 patients total who needed 2:1 care along with the rest who were pretty high acuity, we don't usually staff for that many nurses, it was rough going for a bit.
(this is peds btw)