Procedures done in a childrens cath/special procedures lab?Register Today!
- by ER_JEN_RN Jul 10, '10Just wondering if anyone works at a childrens hospital in a cath lab...what sort of procedures do you see the most? I am currently working ER, did an externship in adult cath during school, and have had short talk with childrens cath lab manager regarding a potential position. Just curious how it differs from adults?
- Jul 11, '10 by dianahI have only worked in an adult cath lab but I'll take a stab at it:
Depending on if it's a large hospital and what services are offered you may see
* cardiac caths (for anomalies; check out http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/h...dia/anomalies/ )
* cardiac biopsies (if transplants are done, to monitor for rejection post transplant)
* EP studies/ablations
* percutaneous repair of VSD or ASD
Hope this helps, and good luck to you, whether you decide to join the cath lab staff or not!