BCIT Jan 2013 Applicants - page 6
Just wanted to get something started as I will be applying for this intake. Let's get this thread going. Fill me in on who you are and why you are applying bcit's nursing program. I was told that BCIT is the most recognized... Read More
- 0May 9, '12 by Panda82Hi guys!
I will also be applying to the January 2013 intake. I am really excited to get this going!
I have been reading through the threads related to BCIT for a few months now and I have found a lot of the feedback very helpful especially from you, smiley65. Were you by any chance at the BCIT open house in April?
I may have read it somewhere, but what kind of work experience, schooling, etc. did you have when applying to BCIT smiley65? I would also appreciate other responses to this question as well as I am really curious about the backgrounds of the people who were successful in obtaining a spot at BCIT.
A little about me:
Bachelor of Arts from SFU (courses include the 6 credits of psychology, and many other courses I have taken relate to the LIBS electives so I am hoping to have these credited) with a decent GPA
I've been a crisis line worker for a year and a half and have over 160 hours on the lines. I also aid in training new volunteers and have been doing this since January of this year.
I also volunteer at a hospital and spend a lot of time interacting one on one with patients.
Also just recently completed Bio 12
In regards to work experience, I've only ever had entry level jobs while in school but my current job does focus quite a bit on pet nutrition and health. I've had to acquire quite a bit of knowledge regarding supplements, medication (only medication that can be sold at a store level), and pet food.
I'm currently doing everything I can to strengthen my application so hopefully my hard work will pay off!
Has anyone completed and handed in their application yet? I don't know exactly when I'll be handing in my application but I'm gearing for the end of June.
- 0May 11, '12 by careubcHey everyone!
I'm also applying for the Jan 2013 intake. I'm VERY excited and anxious already. I feel like I've been waiting a long time already to get this going!
I'm applying next week. I'm just wondering if someone can remind me if you hand in your reference WITH your application or when you get shortlisted. I'm pretty sure it's only when you get shortlisted but my reference kind of needs to be sent now so I hope that won't cause a problem.
I'm applying with about 66 credits and 50 hours volunteer experience in a health care setting. I know a couple people in the program who got in with less volunteer hours than that so I'm hoping that will be enough to get me in! I have life experience from travelling and volunteering abroad so I'm hoping that will help too. I am currently taking Libs 7001 and 7002 so that will be finished by the cut off date in August.
I'm very excited to hear about everyone else's experience with this application process along the way
- 1May 14, '12 by smiley65You don't need to submit references with your application and if you must hand them in now, i suggest keeping a copy of them in case you need to submit them later...things can get misplaced with so many applications and it would be a little stressful if you were unable to reproduce those references when they were required! For the Jan 2012 intake, I applied the first week of June and I didn't hear I was accepted until October 28....so it's a bit of a long wait. Good luck with your application!!
- 0May 31, '12 by greys03thanks for the reply Chhun. sorry for the late response back. I just applied and handed in all my documents last week for bcit. I wonder how long it will be until we receive some info back. My online application status says unassessed, gets it's still early to hear back.I actually applied with very little credits, only around 42. I know they are looking for applicants with around 60 but I decided to apply anyways and give it a shot. My initial plan was to go to Langara for nursing but honestly they wait is too long. They start accepting applicants for their sept 2013 intake this Oct 2012. So I thought I would apply to other schools instead. Have you applied anywhere else? Going to Bcit would be amazing, I really like their problem based learning approach.
- 0May 31, '12 by sourpickle93Quote from greys03thanks for the reply Chhun. sorry for the late response back. I just applied and handed in all my documents last week for bcit. I wonder how long it will be until we receive some info back. My online application status says unassessed, gets it's still early to hear back.I actually applied with very little credits, only around 42. I know they are looking for applicants with around 60 but I decided to apply anyways and give it a shot. My initial plan was to go to Langara for nursing but honestly they wait is too long. They start accepting applicants for their sept 2013 intake this Oct 2012. So I thought I would apply to other schools instead. Have you applied anywhere else? Going to Bcit would be amazing, I really like their problem based learning approach.
Good for you! and goodluck with your application! I wish you all the best! I applied as well like almost 2-3 weeks ago and they haven't assessed mine either. It's worth a shot though they usually accept students who have 45-60 credits but I've known tons of people who actually got in with less than that.I'm applying with 48.5 credits I reallly hope I get it I have eng 1117, psych 1/2, libs 7001/7002/ hmgt 7180, two liberal electives, science courses, a well maintained gpa and over 230 hours of volunteering in health related fields. I wonder how long it will take until we hear back from them probably after july 15th? I'm definitely sticking with BCIT though their program is hands down one of the best there is! But then again is always good to keep your options open too
- 0May 31, '12 by greys03wow your application is really good! I have the psychs, english, as well as some sociology and ethics and 200 level courses from langara. I didn't get a chance to do the liberal courses yet because I don't go to bcit. I may looking into taking them in the Sept. As for the hmgt, I talked to a bcit nursing advisor and she said to take that couse while you're in the program as it's more effective. I know a friend who got in to Bcit with 30 credits, she was in her first year at kwantlen. But Bcit looks for applicants with more credits so I won't get my hopes up too much. That seems about right, we should hear back from them around July. Bcit has another intake in August as well right? I'm sure they will start accepting applications for that as well. Yes, I agree, Bcit is top preference and then Langara as a back up
- 0May 31, '12 by pippa20You probably will not hear anything back until at least september. For the August Application intake you had to apply by dec 15th (July 15th for jan), have all documents in by Jan 31st (Aug 31 for Jan) and you hear back if you are short listed mid to late march. So i hate to get your hopes up but you still have a long wait ahead of you. But good luck with your application and happy waiting, there are lots out there with you.
And greys03, what type of other credentials did you friend have to get in with 30 credits, i hear thats really hard to do?