BCIT Jan 2013 Applicants - Page 32Register Today!
- Oct 29, '12 by blondie85That's what I thought... I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't the only one who hadn't received notification. I thought about emailing them, but they have a ton of work to do so I don't think it's a good idea!
- Oct 29, '12 by Nursinghopeful1234My gpa is around 3.0, I applied with 49 post secondary credits, I have 145 volunteer hours and I've been working as a community support worker the last 7months... So idk lots of ppl have much higher gpa than me, I have no idea what they are looking at. I was planning to upgrade some classes cuz I really wasn't expecting to be short listed! Glad I am though!
- Oct 29, '12 by careubcThat's good. They look at everything. I don't think bcit focuses AS MUCH on gpa itself as other schools do. I think that you might be better off getting more university credits rather than upgrading old courses?... (for bcit anyway). You're so close to 60 credits. Congrats on getting shortlisted though. Hopefully you won't have to do anything more. Good luck!
- Oct 29, '12 by vana_If it helps you guys my first time applying was for the August intake and I did not get shortlisted the first time around, I have a BSc in Psychology from UBC-O and I officially graduated with it this past June, even though I technically had 120+ credits in December 2011 for graduation but it wasn't official on my transcript until June. I reapplied for this January intake and followed up with what was wrong with my application the first time around so hopefully its good news this time.
I have 200+ volunteer hours from Candy striping from high school, but don't know if that really counts.
My gpa is not spectacular overall on my transcript but I did a great deal better the last 2 years of my degree.
And I'm currently taking LIBS 7001 & 7002
- Oct 29, '12 by Nursinghopeful1234Yah I'm taking 4 classes now so ill have 61 credits after this semester lol
- Oct 30, '12 by snowyivoryHi Nursinghopeful1234!
Don't worry too much about your GPA. During the BCIT Nursing Info Session last night, the program advisor said ideal GPA is 3.0. However, high marks will not increase your chances of getting in nor is having a degree. What they are looking for a SOLID academic record, if your marks are CONSISTENT or showing IMPROVEMENT or PROGRESS (if your marks were poor earlier).
What they are concerned is a spotty academic record, lots of unexplained withdrawals and failures. In which case, I would advise you to write a letter of intent to explain the reason for it (health reasons, personal reasons, etc). Or simply not include that transcript if it is not mandatory.
BCIT Nursing prefers applicants with more course credits because it shows they have more post-secondary experience. Minimum is 30 credits and competitive tends to hover around 60 credits.
Hope that helps!
- Oct 30, '12 by Nursinghopeful1234Thanks snowy ivory! Gives me some confidence!
- Oct 30, '12 by iheartpurplethree to eight days...
Tomorrow it will be no longer than a week. Just seven days.
- Oct 30, '12 by BulmaBriefsAhhhh!!! I'm going to soil myself with all this waiting lol. Again with the waiting! But this time for some odd reason I'm not nervous at all! Does anyone else feel this way? Also I feel like Nov 6th is a bit early to hear back from the nursing department? I have a feeling it may be a week later? I don't know?
- Oct 30, '12 by vana_Good luck to everyone!!! It's a pain waiting to hear anything but it sounds like rejections/ non offers have started to go out! So fingers crossed for the rest of us!