Golden West vs. SaddlebackRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Golden West vs. Saddleback in California State Nursing Programs, part of California Nursing ... After waiting a year and a half to get into nursing school, I finally got accepted to both GWC and...by maddybee Jun 15, '11After waiting a year and a half to get into nursing school, I finally got accepted to both GWC and Saddleback for this fall. I've heard good things about both schools, especially now that GWC has the new nursing building, but I can't decide which to go to. I live closer to GWC so I'm leaning towards there. But I used to volunteer at Hoag Hospital, and the Saddleback nursing students all raved about how great the program was, and how the instructors actually motivated and helped them to pass. Does anyone have any thoughts on which school is better?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=579375©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 3,611 Views
- Jun 16, '11 by dread090Quote from maddybee85Hello maddybee! I have to put the vote in for saddleback because I have zero complaints about the program thus far. I just finished my first semester there and I can't wait to start my second. The professors have been nothing short of outstanding and go out of their way to make sure you will be successful.After waiting a year and a half to get into nursing school, I finally got accepted to both GWC and Saddleback for this fall. I've heard good things about both schools, especially now that GWC has the new nursing building, but I can't decide which to go to. I live closer to GWC so I'm leaning towards there. But I used to volunteer at Hoag Hospital, and the Saddleback nursing students all raved about how great the program was, and how the instructors actually motivated and helped them to pass. Does anyone have any thoughts on which school is better?
If I'm not mistaken by your screenname here, I believe you were the PCA I shadowed under back in february this year too haha
- Jun 16, '11 by AMMABELLSaddleback. I took all prereqs there and love that school. I hear Saddleback is the most challenging and highly regarded of the community colleges in the area. They have a 100% nclex pass rate. The nursing building is new as well. And clinical hospital are gorgeous! ! Being located where it is Saddleback has the funds and provides a great program! ! Good luck and congratulations!
- Jun 16, '11 by jadedjaneTo be fair, GW and Saddleback have some clinicals at the same hospitals...however, I am- and always will be- partial to Saddleback. I remember my first semester, I had clinicals at Hoag and some of the GW students would sit with us at lunch (so nice). I have to confirm what Dread090 said about the instructors. They are all outstanding. I'm going into my last semester in August and I can honestly say I never once felt like an instructor didn't have my back when I needed it.
Fellow students care about your success. I think because we all worked so hard to get where we are, my class in particular seems to have a "no man left behind" mentality"
The exams are tough and incrementally harder with each exam (prepping for NCLEX from day one). The information isn't spoon fed to you, you are expected to do the work. There are community health hours that must be done (Home health, vaccination clinics, teddy bear clinics (my fave), child birthing and lactation classes and so on...
Either way, when it's all said and done, I don't think that one school's graduate gets preferred over the other. I think that RN=RN once you pass the NCLEX.
Saddleback is for me, but go with what works for you and CONGRATS on getting accepted into both
- Jun 16, '11 by maddybeeThanks for the tips! I know nursing school isn't going to be cake, and I'm willing to put the effort in. But it's nice to know that it won't make a difference what school you graduated from. I'm still leaning towards GWC because right now I live in Cypress, and the commute to Saddleback won't be fun. But I'm still totally open for more suggestions.
And dread090, I don't think that was me that you shadowed. I was a CCE at Hoag but I finished that last year. Must've been someone else.
- Jun 17, '11 by dread090Oh nevermind that wasn't you then ahaha. Someone of the same name I shadowed under was trying for gwc.
I live in westminster and commute to saddleback. Its technically only 1 day a week of class at saddleback campus but the clinicals are close to where we live, like hoag and st joseph, for the other days.
- Jun 26, '11 by studypartnerDoes anyone know about new graduates who actually get hired by the clinical rotation sites from Saddleback ADN program vs Goldenwest ADN program?
- Jun 26, '11 by AMMABELLStarting Saddlback Rn 3rd semesterthis fall. So excited!!Already have a job when i graduate. Gonna love this so much better than being an LVN! !!!!
- Jun 27, '11 by studypartnerAmmabell,
Wow, a solid job in your future! Congratulations. Have you been working as an LVN there?
I am really excited to start the Saddleback Program in Fall 2011!
- Jun 27, '11 by AMMABELLYes i am still working as an LVN. can't wait to b an Rn!